Crime & Punishment: Pep Rally Gone Wrong

John Skok seemed poised to take a plea deal, accepting a year in jail for his part in a scheme that bilked a Montville woman out of her life savings, when the prosecutor brought the proceedings to a halt to accuse the defendant of being drunk in court. "It's been brought to my attention that you're under the influence," Assistant State's Attorney Lawrence Tytla said to Skok, 59, before the New London Superior Court. No word on how Tytla deduced this, but Skok (whose wife was already sentenced for the scheme) was given a breathalyzer test and it showed a blood-alcohol level twice the legal limit to drive. Tytla was worried the plea would be null if Skok entered it while intoxicated, but the judge reasoned that Skok, an alcoholic, "was able to function well while legally drunk" and thus could soundly weigh his legal options while sloshed, reports the Norwich Bulletin. He was taken into custody and allowed to take the plea at the next hearing.

After Simsbury High School canceled a pep rally due to a few "incidents" between juniors and seniors, the older class used social media to construct their own "flash mob" rally, reports WFSB. During a lunch period, over 100 students made their way to one corner of the cafeteria and played music from various devices. As teachers ordered them back to class, the students "just kind of sat there, chanting stuff," according to one witness. The kids then made an orderly but unauthorized march through the hallways and then headed to the football field. They sat in the bleachers for a brief spell and then proceeded back into the cafeteria. In a letter to parents, Principal Neil Sullivan expressed a desire to "turn this into a teachable moment."

Extremes in Parenting: Joann Bisesi of Monroe was not only aware that her 15-year-old daughter was hosting a party in which about 40 teens drank alcohol, smoked pot and had sex, she gave her $200 to buy hooch and weed, police told the Connecticut Post. One teen reportedly said Bisesi, 52, was home during the bash and was "chill with that kind of stuff." Meanwhile, two parents in Glastonbury fulfilled a plot turn in every teen comedy when they returned from vacation a day early and found their girls, 15 and 16, holding a booze-fueled party. They called the police on their own children, reports the Hartford Courant, and because the teens are minors, will presumably be on the hook for all the fines and legal fees they rack up.

The often-suffering fans of the New York Mets have long muttered about their desire to punch the team's good-for-nothing coaches in the face and drop-kick its stupid fucking managers. One angry fan, bearded fattie Aryn Leroux of West Haven, allegedly let his disdain spill over into Twitter. Leroux, 42, had cyber-heckled the team since spring training, reports the New York Daily News, and when he tweeted a desire to physically harm specific Mets personnel, he found himself in the penalty box that is a holding cell on threatening and breach of peace charges.

Police, responding to reports of gunshots in Bridgeport, allegedly found a firearm in a backpack in a car belonging to Gregory Davis. The Connecticut Post reports that Davis, 26, said he knew nothing about the gun, which police discovered had been stolen, and had been at a nightclub at the time of the shooting. He handed over a digital camera he claimed would show time-stamped photos of him at the club. More interesting to the officers shifting through the photos was one of Davis allegedly posing with the stolen gun he said he knew nothing about.

Angelo Appi Jr. picked up his daughter at Joseph Melillo Middle School in East Haven and noticed a door left open and unattended. Hiding his cell phone in a coffee cup, Appi entered and walked through the school unnoticed and unchallenged. To draw attention the lax security, he posted the video to YouTube. Instead of eating some crow and improving school security, Connecticut's most dysfunctional town had Appi arrested, WTNH reports, alleging that his comments that parents should "be alarmed" constituted a threat.

Roger Autuori, the 61-year-old Republican registrar of voters in Fairfield, accused his Democratic counterpart, Matthew Waggner, of purposefully setting up ballot-scanning devices at a town senior center in a way that would slow down the voting process, so he allegedly grabbed Waggner by the neck and bitch-slapped him, reports the Connecticut Post. Autuori — who "has had a history of intimidation and harassment in the workplace," according to Waggner — faces a breach of peace charge for the open-palm slap.

Some loan sharks hit a Bridgeport convenience/discount tobacco store where it hurt: the slushie machine. WTNH reports that a posse of goons entered the Smokers Spot and demanded an employee hand over $2,700 the owner supposedly owed. When the clerk said he didn't have access to that kind of cash, the thugs threatened to turn him into "Swiss cheese" if he didn't help them uninstall and wheel out the frosted-drink maker. The incident is under investigation.

A Greenwich man returned home to find his children alone and their mother missing, reports Greenwich Time. Police searched the entire home and could not find Jesenia Munoz. Soon after, the father called to nix his missing person report, saying he found Munoz, 31, passed out drunk under a bed. She was charged with risk of injury to a minor.

Samantha M. Taschner, who was later found to have a blood-alcohol level twice the legal limit, lost control of her station wagon and slammed into a Radio Shack in West Hartford, police told the Hartford Courant. Employees were stunned because it was the first time anyone had entered the store in months.


Copyright © 2018, CT Now