New Haven Man Charged In Fatal Motorcyclist's Hit And Run

A driver has been arrested in connection with a fatal hit and run of a motorcyclist in October.

Police believe Roger Sullivan Jr., 22, was driving a silver Acura SUV on Whalley Avenue at about 2 a.m. on Oct. 8 when he struck a motorcycle and drove away down Osborn Avenue.

The motorcyclist, 31-year-old Garry Gulledge of Oakville, was ejected from the bike and later died of his injuries, police said.

Gulledge was an engineer at Mott Corporation in Farmington and a mentor for the robotics team at Nonnewaug High School in Woodbury, according to his obituary.

Sullivan was arrested in February and charged with felony evading, negligent homicide and making an improper turn, police announced Wednesday.

His arrest followed an investigation into two pieces of evidence in the road — a plastic rocker panel stamped with "Honda," that had separated from the suspect's car and a McDonald's cup in a puddle of spilled tea.

Investigators brought the rocker panel, which fits under a car door, to a Honda dealership, which identified it as coming from a 2003-2007 Acura MDX. Another officer visited the McDonald's on Whalley Avenue to see if a silver Acura had been captured on surveillance cameras.

One was, police said.

A series of warrants gave officers the name of the cardholder who paid for a large sweet tea and food, a woman from Clinton Avenue. When interviewed on Oct. 11, the woman said she had been a passenger in her boyfriend's Acura and that she'd been looking through the McDonald's bag when she felt a bump and the tea flew from the car's open window.

She said she didn't realize there had been a collision but a few days later had noticed a news report of the crash and the released surveillace photo of the SUV. She said she confronted her boyfriend and the pair told his mother, who told them to go to the police.

She told officers she'd planned to go that day.

When officers interviewed Sullivan, he said he too felt only a tump and didn't know he'd collided with a motorycle. However, he later admitted he knew the crash was significant and panicked, police said.

He maintained he did not see what it was he'd hit.

Copyright © 2018, CT Now