Smoke Detectors Save Lives

Bunnell High School, Stratford CT


According to the U.S. Fire Administration, more than half of the house fires that occur in the US are from houses without smoke detectors.

It is estimated that a third of the smoke alarms in place are not working, often due to failure to replace a worn out battery. Stratford firefighter Brian Secavich knows the importance of smoke detectors and says “Its very important that you check the batteries twice a year and you always make sure that the smoke detector hasn't expired.”

He went on to say “smoke detectors are very important to helping catch fires before they turn into something bad or to at least save a life, whenever they start going off.” Smoke alarms are essential in every home in Stratford.  Research shows that smoke alarms save thousands of lives a year.  Most fires in the home happen at night when everybody is sleeping and unaware of fires in the house. Smoke detectors should be located on every floor of the home.

Firefighter Secavich said, “A couple years back we had 8 fire deaths in one year and approximately 5 to 6 of those deaths could have been prevented if there were smoke detectors properly working, many people actually have the smoke detectors in their home but they leave the batteries out or they dont properly place them somewhere or have them sitting on their dresser and they'll get to them eventually and unfortunately if a fire happens they are not in a proper place its not gonna have an early detetction of that fire.”

Making Stratford safe is the goal of these firefighters. It would be a great help if all of Stratford citizens helped these hardworking firefighters by installing smoke alarms. Bottom line is it saves lives.



Copyright © 2018, CT Now