1. TO ENTER: No Purchase Necessary. Entrants must be a US citizen or legal resident residing in Connecticut within the WTIC-TV viewing area during the Contest Period, age 21 or older at the time of entry and a legal homeowner within the relevant geographic area. To enter, log onto ctnow.com and go to the "Backyard Makeover Contest" page from Friday, March 18, 2011 at 12:01AM EST through Wednesday, March 30, 2011 at 11:59AM EST, (the "Entry Period") to enter the Contest. Submit a photo of your messy yard and write in an essay in 250 words or less about why you should receive a backyard makeover (the "Essay"). . Photo must be in either .jpeg or .gif format, and its file size cannot exceed 200 kilobytes. Entrants will have to sign-in to ctnow.com in order to enter (new registrants can sign-up by providing your screen name, password, gender, zip code, birthday, and any other required fields). All entries must be submitted online, and must be received within the Entry Period. All entrants must own and currently reside at the address or location of the photo submitted in his/her entry. Entrants who fail to upload a picture and/or an original essay, or who fail to fully complete the entry form, or who submit incomplete information will be disqualified. Photos that are altered or electronically enhanced in order to substantially misrepresent the entrant, the nominee or the subject matter will not be considered and will be disqualified. Sponsors reserve the right to disqualify those entries which Sponsors believe would subject them to a claim or litigation. Photo should contain no recognizable individuals/people beyond the entrant; failure to do so may result in disqualification. By entering this Contest and submitting required entry materials, entrants agree that the Sponsor may collect, use and publish all information and materials in the entry submission, including, without limitation, the photo, the essay and the entrant data (such as name, address, e-mail, phone number, etc.). If selected as the winner, entrant understands and agrees that Sponsor may publish and/or broadcast before and after photos and/or video of the Home Garden makeover. ONLY ONE ENTRY PER HOUSEHOLD/ENTRANT WILL BE ACCEPTED.
2. DEADLINE: Entries must be received by Wednesday, March 30, 2011 at 11:59AM EST. Entrants must use their own name. If any dispute arises concerning the identity of an entrant, the owner of an email account from which entry was sent shall be deemed the entrant. Except as otherwise required under these rules, entries containing attached files other than the required entry materials described in Section 1 above are not eligible and will be rejected. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, incomplete, damaged, illegible, late, or misdirected entries; or for errors in mechanical transmission, technical difficulties, upload failure, or inability to transmit Internet entries.
3. SELECTION OF FINALISTS: On or about Thursday, March 31, 2011, all eligible entries will be judged by a panel of judges comprised of Contest Sponsor representatives based on four criteria: Need (how messy the backyard is), 25%; Creativity of the essay, 25%; Enthusiasm in the essay, 25% and Location of the Backyard (how much can the Sponsor do in the time frame and the Contest budget), 25%. The three entrants with the three highest scores will be tentatively declared the "Finalists", subject to eligibility verification and compliance with these rules. Sponsor' may alter the judging process in any way at their sole discretion, and entrants agree to abide by decisions of the judges and Sponsor, which are final in all respects.
4. FINALIST NOTIFICATION: On or about Friday, April 9, 2010, Sponsor will notify the three finalists by telephone and/or e-mail. If a selected winner is not eligible, declines, or cannot be contacted within a reasonable period of time following initial notification, the prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to the entrant with the next highest score.
5. SELECTION OF WINNER: Once the three finalists have been determined and announced, Sponsor will post the Finalist photo and essay submissions for each of the three finalists on www.ctnow.com/backyard from Tuesday, April 5 at 11:59AM EST until Wednesday, April 13, 2011 at 11:59AM EST (the "Voting Period"). During this time, Contest Sponsor will invite viewers and website users to visit the Contest Website and vote for their favorite Finalist (which one you think needs a backyard makeover). Limit 25 votes per valid e-mail address. The Finalist who receives the most votes during the Voting Period will be deemed the potential Winner, subject to eligibility verification and compliance with these rules. Sponsor reserves the right to only post the essays or pictures. Votes that contain copies or other mechanical reproductions, facsimiles, technical or electronic reproductions, or containing attached files are not eligible and will be rejected.
6. AWARDING & DELIVERY OF PRIZES: Grand Prize will include, a Home Backyard makeover consisting of Landscaping design and general contracting, labor, mulch, a patio, and a 10x12 vinyl sided shed. Total Approximate value of the prize is $9,999. Backyard transformation will take place on or about the week of April 25, 2011. Winner's backyard makeover will be videotaped/recorded for possible airing during the FOX Connecticut News (the exact date and time for which shall be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion). Winner will be required to execute an affidavit of eligibility/release of liability and a W9 form prior to receiving their prize. The Grand Prize Winner is responsible for timely obtaining all permits or other permissions required as a condition of executing any aspect of, or redeeming any prize (such as for building the shed). Properly claimed prize will be awarded, but in no event will Sponsor award more prizes than are provided for in these Official Rules. In the event Sponsor do not feature the Winning Couple on air on FOX Connecticut or in the Hartford Courant for any reason, Winning Couple will not be entitled to alternate prize, and Sponsor are not obligated to run such features. If winning Couple does not use all elements of prize, there will be no reimbursement. Prize elements are non-transferable, non-negotiable and not redeemable for cash, credit or merchandise. Prize elements may change at Sponsor's sole discretion. If the Contest is cancelled, no substitute prizes are available except at Sponsors' sole discretion. All decisions regarding interpretation of these Official Rules and administration of the Contest made by Sponsor are final and binding. The actual value of certain of the prize elements may vary depending on Winner's preference. Therefore, the actual value of the prize awarded may be lower or higher at the time it is fulfilled. Any difference between actual value and stated ARV will not be awarded.
7. ELIGIBILITY: Contest is not open to employees of other media outlets within the WTIC-TV and WCCT-TV viewing areas, to employees of Sponsor or their immediate family members, or to employees (or their immediate family members), of any of Sponsor's contractors, prize providers, parent companies, affiliates, licensees, advertising or promotional agencies or any other company affiliated with this Contest. Immediate family members of contractors or prize providers are not eligible to win. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
8. CONDITIONS OF ENTRY:
a. By entering, each entrant confirms that he/she is the owner of the copyright, trademarks and intellectual rights in the submitted photo and essay. Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, disqualify and decline to publish any Photo or Essay submissions that it reasonably believes are not the entrants' own original creations, have already been published, violate the rights of any other person or entity (including but not limited to copyrights), contain offensive, defamatory, vulgar or profane content, or contain fraudulent or false information. By entering, entrants agree to indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor, its parent companies and affiliates, and each of their employees, representatives, contractors, Sponsor and advertisers, from any and all liability, loss, damage, costs or claims related to the publication of submitted photos and entry information.
b. By entering, each entrant grants permission, without further compensation, to Sponsor, Hartford Courant, WTIC-TV/WCCT-TV, Tribune Television Company, and their agents and licensees, to use the entrant's name, voice, photograph, likeness and biographical material, including name, state, and city of residence, and all information submitted in his/her entry, for promotional purposes in any media, in connection with the Contest. By entering, each entrant agrees that if selected as a Winner, he/she may be required to sign a release and waiver of liability. The prize may be forfeited and awarded to another entrant (selected in accordance with the winner selection criteria described in these rules) if a Winner does not execute the prepared form of release and waiver within the stated timeframe of the Contest, or if a selected Winner is not eligible in accordance with these rules. By entering, entrants agree to release Contest Sponsor' from any claim, loss, liability, damage or injury of any kind arising from their participation in the Contest of their receipt or use of the Contest prize. This Contest shall be governed and enforced pursuant to Connecticut law, excluding choice of law provisions.
c. Sponsor is not responsible for changes made to the Prize being awarded, including any delay, cancellation or postponement of the Prize events, and is under no obligation to provide a substitute prize. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing or advertising of the offer, administration or execution of the contest or in the announcements of the prizes/prize winners.Neither the failure of Sponsor to insist upon or enforce strict performance of any provision of these Official Rules or the failure, delay or omission by Sponsor in exercising any right with respect to any term of these Official Rules, will be construed as a waiver or relinquishment to any extent of each Sponsor's right to assert or rely upon any such provision or right in that or any other instance.
9. RESPONSIBILITY RELEASE: By entering, you agree to release, waive, and hold harmless Sponsor and their affiliates, subsidiaries, parent companies, prize providers, advertising and promotional agencies, and all of their officers, directors, shareholders, employees and agents from and against any and all claims, losses, damages, and liability arising from injuries, damages, costs, or expenses of any kind (including without limitation attorney's fees) incurred as a result of the contestants' participation in this Contest and/or their acceptance, use, or misuse of the Prize. Entrants also agree to participate in all activities to publicize the Contest. Entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules, and by entering, agree that all decisions regarding eligibility, the administration of this Giveaway, and the award of the Prize made by the Sponsors shall be final and binding.
10. INTERNET: If for any reason, the Internet-related portion of this Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, tampering, fraud, technical failure, or any other cause which corrupts or threatens the administration, security or integrity of the Contest, WTIC-TV/WCCT-TV, Hartford Courant, and Tribune Television Company reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to terminate or suspend the Contest or any portion of the Contest. ANY ATTEMPT TO DAMAGE OR UNDERMINE THE FAIR AND LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION FROM THE CONTEST.
In the event this Contest is cancelled during the Entry Period, the judges panel will select three Finalists applying the criteria set forth above to all eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to the time of the action or event warranting such cancellation. In the event this Contest is cancelled during the voting for the "Winner", the "Winner" with the most valid, non-suspect votes received prior to the time of the action or event warranting such cancellation. If such cancellation, termination, modification, or suspension occurs, notification will be posted on the Contest websites.
11. FOR A COPY OF THE RULES: Write to, "Ultimate Backyard Makeover Contest Rules"; FOXCT, 285 Broad Street, Hartford, CT 06115 (Attn: Greg Bowen). For Winner's name write to, "Ultimate Backyard Makeover Contest Winner"; FOXCT, 285 Broad Street, Hartford, CT 06115. All requests for rules and Winners' lists must be received by Friday, April 22, 2011.
12. SPONSOR: CT1 Media, 285 Broad Street, Hartford, CT 06115.
Copyright © 2018, CT Now