Sox win world's title, 4 to 2

This is the story from the Chicago Tribune exactly as it appeared that day.

New York--With a determination that could not be denied Chicago's White Sox made themselves world's champions of 1917 and Red Faber a nation's hero today by winning the sixth game of the series from the Giants, 4-2.

Comiskey's warriors fought the McGraws until they cracked and fell apart, leaving a yawning hole through which three runs were pulled in the fourth inning, and Red Faber did the rest.


Eddie Collins and Chick Gandil share with the Cascade idol the laurels of the clinching victory. Foxy baserunning by Collins made possible the trio of tallies which settled things for all time. Caught between third and home, Eddie tricked the Giants into a skull play in which Benton, Zimmerman, Rariden, and Holke shared the dishonor, although the home fans put all the blame on the guest Zim in spite of the fact he hibernates in the "Bronx."

Faber will go down into diamond history as one of the greatest pitchers of post season battles. He and Cicotte will rank always with the masterful Christy Mathewson, who partook of so many world's series laurels until his wing gave out. And Faber will have more of the glory than Cicotte, because he pitched in four of the six games played, while Cicotte pitched in only three.


If Red had failed today it would have been up to the knuckle ball star Wednesday, but Red did not fail, in spite of some bad breaks which accounted for both the runs the scored off him today.

Rube Benton, who started against Faber, gave him a great argument as long as his support held up. For three innings it was a perfect battle and a bitter one. Both teams were extended to the limit and then some, for they were playing for nearly a thousand dollars a man. Both sides hit the pill viciously, but both sides put up a stiff and impervious defense.


It looked as if they were going on that way till dark unless somebody cracked. Somebody did, and it was the great Zim. Eddie Collins, first up in the fourth, rapped a nice bounder to Heine, who fielded it nonchalantly and fired the ball to first base the same way. It was a wild peg, wider than any prairie flower that ever grew, and hit the grand stand back of Holke, letting Collins to second.

Jackson tried to bunt twice, then hoisted a little fly back of Herzog Robertson came in claimed it, but muffed the ball and Collins went to third, Jackson being stopped on first. Two on and nobody out.


Felsch tapped a sharp grounder to Benton, who stabbed it with one hand and had Eddie Collins at his mercy half way between third and the pan. Collins stopped dead and watched the developments, motioning the other runners to keep on going. Not until Benton was right on top of him did Collins make a move, then he raced back toward third, with Rube after him.

Benton tossed the ball to Zimmerman and Collins doubled in his tracks with the great Zim in hot pursuit toward the plate. Rariden meantime was thirty or forty feet from the home station and nobody behind him. Zimmerman chased Collins so far it was too late to hand the ball to Rariden, who had to step out of the way and let Collins pass.

Gotham "Boos" Bronx Idol

In desperation Zim tore after Collins, who beat him to the plate easily, scoring the first run. It was more the fault of Rariden or Holke for not covering the plate than it was Heine's blunder, but the biggest crowd of the series turned on their own idol and booed him unmercifully.

During this mixup Jackson reached third and Felsch second. Gandil delivered a scorching hit just inside first base, scoring both Joe and Hap, but tried to make two bases on his hit and was nailed at second by Robertson. Weaver hit a fly almost into the left field bleachers, but Burns backed up and caught it, Schalk singled, Faber walked, and it looked like more runs, but John Collins grounded out.

Faber Falters Only Once

Those three left handed runs proved enough for Red Faber, for he pitched a sterling gmae outside of one inning, and was not to blame for that. For just a few minutes in the fifth Faber wobbled. Remember, he had pitched two full games and two innings of another in this most strenuous contest, and he was due to get either tired or nervous.

After striking out Holke in the fifth Faber passed Rariden, and Manager McGraw immediately sent Wilhoit to bat for Benton, with instructions to make Red pitch. Wilhoit obeyed orders and drew a pass, but it looked to everybody in position to see as if Faber struck the batsman out on what Klem called a fourth ball.

Another Muff by Shano

The Broadway hounds, scenting a victory, bayed themselves hoarse trying to rattle Faber, but he made Burns hit and a force play disposed of Wilhout at second, putting Rariden on third. Herzog popped a little fly back of first base. John Collins misjudged it, and after trying for it on the fly, let the ball get past him.

Rariden and Burns both scored, and Herzog reached third before the ball was back in the game. If Shano had played safety first, with three runs ahead, he could have held the thing to a single and only one run would have counted. Nothing daunted by these two tough breaks, Faber disposed of Benny Kauff, the home run hero, on a pop foul.

The rest of the way Faber was as steady as a chronometer and almost as intangible as a myth. He was hit for two more singles in the remaining four rounds. Robertson made one of them after two were out in the sixth, and perished before reaching second.

Red's Coolness Saves a Tie

Perritt, who succeeded Benton on the slab, made the other in the seventh with only one out, and it produced a tense situation. Burns popped out: then a wide curve got through Schalk's hands for a short passed ball. Perritt tore for second on it. Ray recovered the ball and made a blind throw in the direction of the keystone sack. The ball went past Weaver, letting Perritt race on to third. Anything at all would knot the score then, but Faber showed no sign of nervousness. Pitching coolly to Herzog, he made the Giant captain pop out.

Perritt, with a world of speed and none too good control of it, held the White Sox down to a single and two passes in three innings, but they got to him for a run that a lot in the ninth. Weaver led with a Texas leaguer over Fletcher's head for a single. Schalk fouled out, but Faber delivered a sacrifice which out Buck on second. Liebold was there with a timely drive in the pinch. It went on a line over second base. Kauff tried to make a grass top catch of it, but failed and then juggled the ball so long Weaver scored easily from second.

New Yorkers Fight to Last

For just a few minutes in the last half of the ninth the Gotham rooters had a phantom hope left. Robertson, first up, was hit on the hand by a loose pitch. The stands are not far away here and a fly into either right or left bleachers meant a tie. Carefully Faber pitched to Holke and a grounder to Eddie Collins retired him.

Still more carefully Red pitched to Rariden, who insisted on getting a base on balls. It went to three balls and two strikes, then Bill fouled off what looked like a fourth ball and let a perfect third strike spilt the plate without offering at it.

Lew McCarty, the disabled catcher, was sent to bat for Perritt and took two lusty swings at the ball, then poked a nice bounder to Eddie Collins for the ultimate out of the series.

McGraw a Game Loser

The termination of the game was marked by a sportsmanlike act on the part of the Giant manager. He was coaching at first base when the game finished, and he went out of his way to shake hands with the men who may have finished his career as a baseball manager. McGraw first congratulated Gandil and Eddie Collins, who made the final play, then waited and shook hands with Schalk, Faber, and all the other world's champions as the passed him in the rush to get to the shower baths.

Just before the finish it looked as if the series might break up in a fist fight. When Weaver went down to second in the ninth inning on Faber's sacrifice, Fletcher deliberately tripped him, although there was no possible play there.

Umpire Evans Averts Scrap

Buck managed to scramble back to the bag in safety. There was some warm language exchanged between them, but nothing to compare with what was said when they tried to catch Weaver napping off second.

As Fletcher ran to cover the base, Weaver punched him in the ribs. Umpire Evans had to get in between them to avert a scrap. Before anything more serious could happen, Liebold scored Weaver with his drive to Kauff.

Copyright © 2018, CT Now