· Florida Keys – Visitors who want to add an enriching element to their Florida Keys vacation can connect and get involved with Keys voluntourism opportunities through a recently introduced website at www.keysvoluntourism.com. The Web outlet is a link to a variety of Florida Keys organizations dedicated to protecting and improving the quality of human and animal life in the island chain that are actively seeking volunteers. Perhaps you would like to donate some of your time and efforts to such organizations as Habitat for Humanity, the Marathon Wild Bird Center or others? Visitors interested in individual vacations or organizations crafting group trips around specific voluntourism events are encouraged to check the website regularly for updates.
- Florida travel calendar for April
- Now available for FREE: Explore Florida travel magazine for iPad and iPhone
- Florida Travel Tips & Deals
- Florida Getaways of the Day
- Some of the best resort pools in Florida
- Photos: Greetings from Florida -- classic postcards
See more photos »
- Travel Videos
- Cruise Line Ports
- Tour Operations Industry
- Habitat for Humanity International
See more topics »
· The Philippines – Projects Abroad is now offering volunteer projects in the Philippines. The organization has opened a year-round office in Cebu City, with full-time support staff to coordinate projects and offer 24-hour backup to volunteers. Volunteers can help with childcare at orphanages and day care centers, teach English in public schools, and assist medical staff in local hospitals. While the minimum commitment to volunteer in the Philippines is one month, volunteers can start anytime and choose their own duration.The Philippines marks Projects Abroad’s 28th destination. Visit www.projects-abroad.org.
· Cruises – Want to take a cruise this year for your vacation, and wish to help others, albeit if with less time commitment? Some cruise lines offer shore excursions that enable participants to assist community organizations, such as food banks and schools, at some of the ports of call they visit. Participants spend half a day or a full day volunteering for a worthy cause during the port call before returning to their ship. Cruise lines that offer these types of shore excursions include Crystal Cruises (www.crystalcruises.com) and Holland America Line (www.hollandamerica.com). Some lines, including Princess Cruises (www.princess.com) feature a “Cruising for a Cause” initiative where the company will dedicate entire sailings to support select charitable causes. This new program will provide the line’s passengers, many of whom are looking for opportunities to make positive contributions to their communities and the world, a way to make a difference even as they vacation. Visit www.princess.com/cruisingforacause.