First bite: Splitsville Luxury Lanes at Downtown Disney
Splitsville Luxury Lanes in In Downtown Disney West Side has a full-scale restaurant complete with two floors, two patios and two sushi bars. Seen here is the Super Tuna Roll. (Splitsville / December 11, 2012)
- Pictures: Splitsville Luxury Lanes at Downtown Disney
- More Disney coverage
- Disney video
- Pictures: Star sightings: Which celebrities were spotted at Disney?
- Pictures: Celebrities who look like Disney characters
- Pictures: The voices of Disney
See more photos »
- Downtown Disney
See more topics »
The 30-lane, two story facility in Downtown Disney’s West Side opened for a media preview Friday Dec. 7. The hip, retro venue is the largest in the bowling brand’s fleet. Splitsville, which opens Dec. 19, also features pool tables and a balcony bar.
In addition to an ambitious menu, I was impressed by the lane concierges who are responsible for delivering shoes and bowling balls to your lanes prior. Lane times will be sold 90 minutes blocks for $20 per person. There was buzz that the upstairs may be open to those age 21 and older on occasion.
The menu was created by Tim Cushman, one of Food & Wine magazine’s “Best New Chefs” in 2008. Starters will include three-pepper calamari sautéed with cherry, jalapeño and banana peppers; seared ahi tuna; loaded alley nachos; mini-roast turkey club sandwiches, salads and edamame.
Burgers will be a blend of Black Angus brisket, short ribs and ground beef, including a triple-decker Mad King burger, a full pound with double cheese and bacon, topped with a crispy onion ring.
Standout entrées will include slow-cooked pulled pork with fries and slaw; blackened mahi mahi with grilled shrimp and spicy, buttery voodoo sauce; an 8-ounce filet mignon; and steak chimichurri. And will be seven kinds of pizzas, from cheese to barbecued chicken to the Fire House which comes with mozzarella, diced chicken tenders, spicy bleu cheese sauce and a drizzle of Ranch dressing.
Desserts to share with family and friends will include sundaes, brownie a la mode and a Red Velvet Cake (also known as “Giant Cake”).
Twelve sushi rolls are included in the menu as well with everything from California rolls to spicy tuna and the JB Roll with salmon.
Libations at the full bars will include everything from old-fashioned slushies to an 18-ounce frozen schooner of beer. Signature cocktails will include rum runners and piña coladas, snickertinis and Key lime martinis. The wine list touts more than 25 labels, mostly from California. And soft drink chefs can splurge at a the “freestyle” Coca-Cola dispenser with more than 100 flavor combinations.
Special menus are available for private events for up to 750 guests and the venue is open from 10 a.m. until 2 a.m.
Ten frames about the new boutique bowling
1. Opening: Dec. 19 in Downtown Disney West Side at Walt Disney World Resort.
2. Square Footage: 50,000. Largest Splitsville ever built.
3. Number of lanes: 30. Nearly twice as many as any other Splitsville.
4. Lane configuration: 20 lanes second-level, 10 ground-level. First two-level Splitsville of its kind.
5. Number of bars: Five.
6. Featured menu items: Hand-cut steaks, mahi mahi with Voodoo shrimp, fresh-rolled sushi, filet sliders, hand-tossed pizza and classic hamburgers made with Splitsville’s special blend of certified angus brisket, short rib and ground chuck.
7. Number of sushi bars: Two – one on each level where customers can watch chefs roll their hand-made creations and belly-up for a Volcano Roll, Super Tuna or any of the fresh selections.
8. Other unique features: Lane concierge responsible for delivering shoes and bowling balls to your lanes prior to your arrival; outdoor patio dining on both floors; billiards tables; live music seven nights a week; more than 60 flat screen TVs.
9. First location: Tampa (opened December 2003)
10. Other Splitsville locations: Tampa; Miami; Fairview, Texas and Fredericksburg, Va. SOURCE: WALT DISNEY CO.