SIMPLY GRILLED STEAK / VENISON CHOPS
IN MAPLE-BOURBON GLAZE
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup bourbon
1 can chicken stock, low sodium (10½ ounces)
½ teaspoon Chipotle Tabasco
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 stalk fresh shallots, peeled, minced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, washed, minced
1 tablespoon cornstarch
¼ cup water
2 pounds steak or venison chops for 4 people (8 ounces each, not including bones or trim)
Note: use half to marinate, and use half as glaze
- Combine all ingredients (except cornstarch, water and steaks/chops) in a medium mixing bowl and whisk together. Set aside ½ cup of marinade. Pour other half of the marinade over the steaks/chops, cover and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Fire up the grill and ensure grill grates are hot, clean, and rubbed with oil. Ensure you have a hot coal fire--your coal base needs to be hot before laying steaks/chops on the grill.
- In small pot, mix water and cornstarch to make slurry then pour in ½ cup reserved marinade. Cook on medium-high heat for approximately 2-3 minutes until glaze thickens.
- Brush steaks/chops with glaze and place on grill. For thick cut steaks and t-bones, always caramelize the sides first. Cook steak at least ½ way on one side, caramelize before flipping. Avoid cooking over direct flame as this can produce an off-flavor. Check the internal temperature of your steak; 120°F will be on the rare side; 130°F medium, 140°F well done. You can also test by touch: soft is rare, firm is well done.
- Ensure the steaks/chops have good caramelization. Remove to a platter for serving. Allow meat to rest 5 to 10 minutes before slicing. Glaze with extra sauce and serve.
GRILLED & CHILLED SHRIMP WITH CORN SALAD, ARUGULA, AVOCADO & TOMATILLO SALSA
16 each shrimp, grilled and chilled, U-15 size
1 ½ cups corn salad
1 handful arugula
½ cup tomatillo salsa (or more if desired)
½ cup guacamole
6 cherry tomatoes, cut each in 1/2
¼ bunch cilantro leaves
- Prepare the corn salad, tomatillo salsa and guacamole in advance.
- Peel the shrimp, leaving the tails on. Place the shrimp in a bowl and season them with salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil. For added flavor, add some garlic and a pinch of chili powder and maybe a squeeze of lime.
- Grill the shrimp over a medium hot fire approximately 2 minutes on each side. Place the grilled shrimp on a plate and chill them.
- To set the plate, place a ring of tomatillo salsa around the plate. Add arugula in the center and place corn salad on top. Place a dollop of guacamole in the center. Plate the grilled shrimp on top of the guacamole and corn salad. Add tomatoes and cilantro as garnish.