Irish Soda Bread
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
oven rack should be in the middle.
1 Tablespoon double acting baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup golden raisins plumped and patted dry
1/2 cup craisins plumped and patted dry
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
2 cups buttermilk
1. In large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients
2. Stir in the raisins, craisins and caraway seeds
3. Add buttermilk and stir until it forms a dough
4. Take dough out of bowl and place on a well floured surface and knead for 1 minute.
5. With floured hands, Halve the dough. shape each half into a round loaf and transfer to a lightly greased baking sheet.
6. Cut an X 1/4 of inch deep into the top of each loaf.
7. Bake loaves in oven at 350 for 45 to 55 minutes or til a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaves comes out clean.
8. Transfer loaves to a cooling until cool to the touch.