Serves: 20, 3 per serving
Cooking Time: 20 min
What You'll Need:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 (16-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil, plus extra if needed
What To Do:
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Add egg whites and salsa; mix well, then stir in black beans.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Pour 1 teaspoon batter per fritter into skillet, cooking several fritters at one time, but not overcrowding them. Cook 1 minute, then turn fritters and slightly flatten with a spatula; cook 1 to 2 additional minutes, or until browned on both sides. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil as needed.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined platter; serve immediately.
- Add some extra excitement when serving by putting out bowls of salsa and reduced-fat sour cream for dipping.
- Wanna keep the theme going here? Add a pitcher of our fabulous sangria and really get your party started!