Amish Chow Chow is a relish that pairs with everything. Its tangy vinegar marinade jazzes up veggies like cauliflower and green and yellow wax beans to the point that second helpings will be in order.
Yields: 10 cups
- 2 cups frozen cauliflower, thawed and cut into small pieces
- 2 cups frozen sliced carrots, thawed
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 2 cups frozen cut yellow wax beans, thawed
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large heat-proof bowl, combine all vegetables; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water, vinegar, sugar, celery seed, turmeric, and salt to a boil over high heat; stir occasionally. Pour over vegetables; mix gently.
- Let mixture sit until cool then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.