The bombshell investigation surrounding Etan Patz, arguably the city's biggest missing person's case, concluded its second day with an excavation site replacing what 24 hours earlier was a dingy basement at 127 B along Prince Street.

It is uncertain if the re-energized search for the six-year-old who disappeared on May 25, 1979 while walking to school for the first time produced any evidence. Law enforcement indicated there would be no updates regarding what -- if anything -- was uncovered during the dig.

At approximately 8 a.m. FBI investigators using pick axes, jackhammers, and with a forensic anthropologist from the medical examiners office in tow, entered the basement to commence the first full day of excavation.

Shortly past 10 a.m. two sanitation trucks delivered two dumpsters for disposal purposes. At around the same time, an anonymous person quietly dropped off ten white tulips on the northwest corner of Prince and Wooster Streets. It was just a few feet from where authorities were looking.

The disappearance galvanized the city and the nation in the spring of 1979 and ultimately led to Patz being a part of the initial campaign featuring missing children on milk cartons. Now nearly 33 years later, New Yorkers have renewed hope that closure may finally be on the horizon. During a late morning new conference at 1 Police Plaza, NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelley said that the re-energized effort may bring "comfort" to the family.

The FBI tells PIX 11 they are not only working the investigation at the search site, but they also have field agents working in other ares around the city, "This is one lead of many that we and the NYPD are pursuing. Agents and detectives are actively pursuing other leads and other pieces of the investigation elsewhere."

PIX 11news was the first broadcast a live report with images of the FBI and the NYPD working together in the tony Soho neighborhood.

By the end of the day, concrete with a variety of thickness and length had been removed. One of the two dumpsters dropped off earlier was filled with debris. When asked if a cadaver dog may be brought back to the scene for an additional inspection, "I think it's safe to say that whatever resources are necessary will be deployed to the search location," said Flannelly.

The search is expected through the weekend and in the early part of next week.