LI Mom Almost Loses Life after Losing Job
When cops arrived to 39-year old Denise Morris' Valley Stream home Sunday evening, after a 911 call of carbon monoxide poisoning, all she could say was, "My son," when she answered the door, while on her knees, before she passed out.

That's when Nassau County Police Officer Michael Frank rushed upstairs and found her 8-year old son, curled up in the middle of a bedroom floor as if he were sleeping.

According to Frank, both Morris and her boy regained consiousness outside of their Putney Road residence, where he placed them until the ambulance arrived.

Morris was treated and released from Nassau University Medical Center.

Her son, who has not been identified, was admitted to the hospital and is "satisfactory condition," according to the hospital spokeswoman.

They were both treated in the hospital's hyperbaric chamber, a sealed room where pure oxygen is pumped.

Authorities say Morris and her son were poisoned by a gasoline-powered generator set up in the basement after the home's power was shut off by LIPA earlier in the week.

LIPA spokesman Mark Gross in a statement sunday said, "the power at the house was shut off Thursday because bills had not been paid since September."

Firefighters found carbon monoxide levels more than two times higher than the safe levels.

"They were at a critical level of carbon monoxide in the house," said Pedro Vera, chief of the Elmont Fire Department.

Detectives are investigating but charges were not likely at press briefing today.

"You never put a gasoline-powered engine inside of a home," said Nassau police spokeman Lt. Kevin Smith at a press briefing earlier today.

"I think it's one of those things that something foolish was done and someone should have thought better of it, but it may not be criminal."