1 cup Fiber One cereal, finely ground
4 egg whites
One 15-oz. can pure pumpkin
One 12-oz. can evaporated fat-free milk
1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
3/4 cup Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a food processor, grind the Fiber One cereal
3. Combine ground up Fiber One cereal with egg whites
4. Lightly spray a 9" baking dish with vegetable nonstick cooking spray
5. Spread egg white and Fiber One mixture in baking dish to form crust
6. Combine all pie filling ingredients in a bowl, and mix thoroughly
7. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
Nutrition content per serving: 1 slice
79 calories, 0g fat, 16g carbohydrates, 4g fiber
1. Pumpkins are high in antioxidants, lutein and zeaxanthin, which scavenge free radicals in the lens of the eye. Therefore, they may help prevent the formation of cataracts and reduce the risk of macular degeneration, a serious eye problem than usually results in blindness.
2. Pumpkins have many nutrients, iron, zinc, and fiber. Iron is of course, needed for red blood cells.