Manchester City announced the signing of left-back Benjamin Mendy from Monaco on Monday, continuing a summer of big spending on defense.
The 23-year-old Frenchman was part of the Monaco team which won last season's French title and knocked out Pep Guardiola's City on its way to the Champions League semifinals.
"He is undoubtedly one of the world's best full-backs, our number one target in this position," Manchester City director of football Txiki Begiristain said in a statement.
Mendy said he was "absolutely delighted" with the move.
Mendy's arrival on a five-year contract follows the departure earlier this summer of long-time City...