| Aug 12, 2013
| 6:22 PM
Last week's ranking in parentheses.
1. Tigers (1): Victor Martinez has been a beast in the second half, hitting .371 with a .945 OPS. The Rays' Wil Myers (.385) is the only AL hitter with a higher average.
2. Dodgers (2): No wonder Don Mattingly...
| Aug 20, 2013
1. Dodgers (2): They were 30-42 on June 21. Do the math. Hanley Ramirez, Yasiel Puig and the big-money lineup tend to get the attention, but they're winning mostly with pitching, holding opponents to 2.9 runs per game since the All-Star break.
| Aug 4, 2013
| 3:58 PM
Down to their final out, the Toronto Blue Jays got consecutive run-scoring singles from Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion in the ninth inning Sunday to rally for a 6-5 win over the Angels, snapping the Angels' modest three-game winning streak and wiping...
| Aug 6, 2013
Two old bed sheets. One simple message.
Almost 12 years later, the time that Joe and Gail Bosch of Darien spent making a banner to welcome the New York Yankees back to the field after the horrors of Sept. 11, 2001, will be repaid in a way beyond the...
| Aug 3, 2013
| 7:17 PM
Everybody loves a swashbuckler, especially when he has a Cy Young Award in his trophy case.
General manager Ken Williams fell for Jake Peavy in 2009, and the trade that brought him to Chicago proved a poor return on investment, both for Chairman Jerry...
| Jul 31, 2013
Avisail Garcia is 22, maybe a little bit overweight and definitely unproven. He's also a far better bet for the White Sox than Jake Peavy was four years ago, when he came to Chicago less than two years' removed from winning the National League Cy Young...
| Jul 31, 2013
| 1:34 PM
The magic of baseball is it brings out the kid in all of us. Given that, I'm channeling fond memories of "Sesame Street" in saying this perspective on the White Sox's 2013 season is brought to you by the letter "R."
The word that was once...
| Jul 29, 2013
| 4:56 PM
1. Tigers (4): Acquired closer Jose Veras from the Astros at a time Detroit hadn't had a blown save in 40 games. The bullpen has been much better since Joaquin Benoit took over as the closer.
2. Cardinals (1): They kicked the tires on Alexei Ramirez but...
| Jul 22, 2013
| 11:12 AM
Justin Nicolino, a former Orlando University left-hander, was touched for six runs and seven hits in three innings in his first Class AA start after being promoted by the Miami Marlins. Nicolino took the loss in the Jacksonville Suns’ 7-4 setback to...
| Jul 15, 2013
| 10:14 AM
It's been a bad year for Chicago baseball. The city's beloved ball clubs enter the All-Star break a combined 27 games under .500, and any hope created in 2012 on either side of town seems long dead. The 2013 season will be remembered by fans of either...
| Jul 12, 2013
| 7:24 PM
The Orioles recalled right-hander Jairo Asencio (pronounced HIGH-row) from Triple-A Norfolk on Friday and designated for assignment right-hander Jair Jurrjens.
Asencio made his first appearance for the Orioles on Friday, pitching a scoreless seventh. He...