| Jul 29, 2013
| 4:56 PM
1. Tigers (4): Acquired closer Jose Veras from the Astros at a time Detroit hadn't had a blown save in 40 games. The bullpen has been much better since Joaquin Benoit took over as the closer.
2. Cardinals (1): They kicked the tires on Alexei Ramirez but...
| Aug 3, 2013
| 7:17 PM
Everybody loves a swashbuckler, especially when he has a Cy Young Award in his trophy case.
General manager Ken Williams fell for Jake Peavy in 2009, and the trade that brought him to Chicago proved a poor return on investment, both for Chairman Jerry...
| Aug 6, 2013
Two old bed sheets. One simple message.
Almost 12 years later, the time that Joe and Gail Bosch of Darien spent making a banner to welcome the New York Yankees back to the field after the horrors of Sept. 11, 2001, will be repaid in a way beyond the...
| Aug 12, 2013
| 6:22 PM
Last week's ranking in parentheses.
1. Tigers (1): Victor Martinez has been a beast in the second half, hitting .371 with a .945 OPS. The Rays' Wil Myers (.385) is the only AL hitter with a higher average.
2. Dodgers (2): No wonder Don Mattingly...
| Aug 20, 2013
1. Dodgers (2): They were 30-42 on June 21. Do the math. Hanley Ramirez, Yasiel Puig and the big-money lineup tend to get the attention, but they're winning mostly with pitching, holding opponents to 2.9 runs per game since the All-Star break.
| Aug 31, 2013
| 3:58 PM
On the off chance Cubs fans need some good news right about now, here's a projection that might provide comfort: If President Theo Epstein succeeds in building the "player development machine'' that is his goal, and it later falls apart, he — or his...
| Apr 3, 2008
| 2:14 PM
Refresh: Manual | Auto | Jump to current inning
Well, that was quick. After two losses, the first rather exciting as losses go, the second rather putrid, manager Lou Piniella has shuffled the lineup.
He used 125 of them last season and now has two in...
| Apr 7, 2008
| 4:02 PM
Refresh: Manual Auto
Who doesn't love a good blender? I totally bedazzled it. I mean, allegedly. Those two. So secretive.
Everyone geeked up for the home opener today? The awesome Bob Vanderberg sure is, and I want what he's on. Fun fact: Vandy, the...
| Jun 22, 2013
| 1:07 PM
Ryne Sandberg sold his three-bedroom unit in a vintage building in downtown Chicago in March. He had listed it a year earlier, less than six months after Cubs President Theo Epstein handed Dale Sveum the job Sandberg always wanted when he was riding...
| Jun 26, 2008
| 3:11 PM
Manual refresh | Auto refresh | Jump to current inning
Nothing against John Danks. His performance at Wrigley last Friday was great, at least off the field.
But Mark Buehrle, besides being back to his old self (maybe?), is nice and efficient. In...
| Apr 12, 2011
| 7:44 AM
Blame everybody. Just spread it around like fertilizer after the White Sox choked another home win Monday night.
Blame the manager. Ozzie Guillen removed Mark Buehrle from his best start of the season: eight innings of two-hit ball on 99 pitches in a 1-0...