| Dec 26, 2012
| 8:34 PM
Like the White Sox, the Rangers don't know who is going to catch for them beyond next year. But having recently gone through a transition featuring Gerald Laird, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Matt Treanor and Taylor Teagarden, they aren't turning over the...
| Dec 8, 2012
| 4:14 PM
Terry Ryan has nothing against free-agent outfielder Michael Bourn. Honest.
But the general manager knows his Twins aren't going to compete again in the American League Central — Joe Mauer or no Joe Mauer — until they fix a starting rotation...
| Apr 30, 2013
| 9:03 AM
Talking baseball while hoping Kirk Hinrich gets well soon:
1. At some point every July, I make this point: The odds are always with the teams selling talent at the trade deadline, not the ones giving up prospects to try to meet short-term opportunities....
| May 2, 2013
| 6:22 PM
Chicago now has digested a month of uninspiring baseball on both sides of town. The reaction has me puzzled.
"It's going to be a long summer," seems to be the most common response from fans and the media.
No, it isn't. The Cubs and White Sox are on...
| Dec 5, 2012
| 5:38 PM
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — With midseason approaching last year, the White Sox traded for Kevin Youkilis. They hadn't had a backup plan when Brent Morel flamed out early and were lucky to grab a card as strong as Youkilis in the discard pile from the Red...
| Dec 6, 2012
| 2:47 PM
Third base was the position that nobody could fill at the winter meetings, and after losing Jeff Keppinger to the Chicago White Sox, the Chicago Cubs were smart to re-sign Ian Stewart.
Stewart is a solid defensive third baseman and still has a chance...
| Apr 17, 2013
| 7:17 AM
Talking baseball while wondering if the Blackhawks can sell out Soldier Field.
1. Don Cooper will be the happiest man at U.S. Cellular on Friday, when he’s officially back to work after a bout with diverticulitis.
In one more cruel twist, however,...
| Apr 24, 2013
| 7:00 AM
Talking baseball while wondering if Tom Thibodeau can make Deron Williams’ homecoming unpleasant:
1. When Robin Ventura introduced it in spring training, I loved the White Sox’s realigned batting order, with the 3-4-5 combination of Alex...
| Apr 16, 2013
Last week's ranking in parentheses
1. Braves (1): Evan Gattis keeps hitting. The Braves outscored the Nationals 18-5 in impressive sweep.
2. Giants (8): Hunter Pence looks primed for a big season.
3. Nationals (3): Davey Johnson says this will be...
| Mar 30, 2013
| 1:10 PM
Chicago baseball returns Monday with a basis to be genuinely excited about possibilities of the future, but enough about Rosemont.
As for citywide interest in the Cubs and Sox, the list of reasons to drop everything and pay attention is here somewhere...
| Dec 5, 2012
| 4:31 PM
The Phillies' search for a third baseman only got harder on Wednesday, and I can't help but think the thought of them going with a platoon of Kevin Frandsen and Freddy Galvis is looking more and more likely. According to......