| Nov 10, 2012
| 5:10 PM
While Hyun-jin Ryu is not yet a big name in North America, losing him was a bigger blow for the Cubs than you probably think.
President Theo Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer wanted the rights to the 25-year-old South Korean left-hander because they...
| Sep 17, 2012
| 3:46 PM
1. Rangers (3): No question that this is the deepest pitching staff — starters and bullpen — in the American League. Ron Washington and Mike Maddux are turning Koji Uehara into another weapon for the middle innings.
2. Nationals (1): Dropped...
| Nov 14, 2012
| 6:48 PM
The best pitch in baseball? It's probably the fastball, although a good changeup is a close second.
As Commissioner Bud Selig heads toward retirement, with a legacy for creating labor peace and growing a game that had stagnated badly under his...
| Oct 14, 2012
NEW YORK — Six years. Six long years. Six long, long years.
That's how long Dave Dombrowski and Jim Leyland have been on the mission that drives them — to bring home a World Series title for Mike Ilitch, the 83-year-old owner who has kept...
| Nov 3, 2012
| 2:49 PM
Rick Hahn and Dayton Moore know one of the biggest realities of baseball and wasted no time acting upon it.
If you're going to go to the playoffs, you better have a strong starting rotation.
Last year, eight of the 10 postseason teams were in the...
| Aug 23, 2012
| 6:24 PM
Does Jim Leyland have a flair for the dramatic?
We're going to find out when he sets the Tigers' pitching rotation for next weekend's series against the White Sox. If he prioritizes the head-to-head meeting with the first-place Sox, we will get one of...
| Dec 19, 2012
| 7:24 AM
Talking baseball while the Bulls keep playing tough defense:
1. One thing about guys who put together baseball teams for a living: They are open-minded in their approach to evaluating talent. They strip away reputations and examine contributions. They...
| Dec 8, 2012
| 4:14 PM
Terry Ryan has nothing against free-agent outfielder Michael Bourn. Honest.
But the general manager knows his Twins aren't going to compete again in the American League Central — Joe Mauer or no Joe Mauer — until they fix a starting rotation...
| Dec 20, 2012
| 6:58 PM
Edwin Jackson gambled, and he won. The question for the Cubs is whether he and Carlos Villanueva will win too much next season?
I wouldn't worry about it if I was President Theo Epstein or general manager Jed Hoyer. They still should be sitting pretty...
| Mar 30, 2013
| 1:18 PM
The Royals expect James Shields to be a difference maker. But were they close enough to being a playoff team before they added him?
That's the question about the deal in which the Royals sent future All-Star Wil Myers to the Rays.
It's too early to...
| Mar 30, 2013
| 1:10 PM
1. Tigers: Forget the concern at closer. They were loaded last year, and they're a lot better with Victor Martinez, Torii Hunter and a full year of Anibal Sanchez.
2. Dodgers: Hanley Ramirez's injury could slow them out of the gate, but they're deep and...