| Aug 23, 2012
| 6:24 PM
Does Jim Leyland have a flair for the dramatic?
We're going to find out when he sets the Tigers' pitching rotation for next weekend's series against the White Sox. If he prioritizes the head-to-head meeting with the first-place Sox, we will get one of...
| Sep 17, 2012
| 3:46 PM
1. Rangers (3): No question that this is the deepest pitching staff — starters and bullpen — in the American League. Ron Washington and Mike Maddux are turning Koji Uehara into another weapon for the middle innings.
2. Nationals (1): Dropped...
| Mar 20, 2013
SAN FRANCISCO — He was 18 when he signed his first contract, 22 when he made his big league debut, 23 when he played in his first All-Star Game and 27 for his first World Series. He's 30 now and as the Most Valuable Player of the World Baseball...
| Feb 13, 2013
GLENDALE, Ariz. — So, Rick Hahn, how do you like Jeff Keppinger now?
While the White Sox's rookie general manager eases into this extended spring training camp, his 13th with the organization, the bet on the American League Central table has...
| Dec 19, 2012
| 7:24 AM
Talking baseball while the Bulls keep playing tough defense:
1. One thing about guys who put together baseball teams for a living: They are open-minded in their approach to evaluating talent. They strip away reputations and examine contributions. They...
| Dec 8, 2012
| 4:14 PM
Terry Ryan has nothing against free-agent outfielder Michael Bourn. Honest.
But the general manager knows his Twins aren't going to compete again in the American League Central — Joe Mauer or no Joe Mauer — until they fix a starting rotation...
| Dec 20, 2012
| 6:58 PM
Edwin Jackson gambled, and he won. The question for the Cubs is whether he and Carlos Villanueva will win too much next season?
I wouldn't worry about it if I was President Theo Epstein or general manager Jed Hoyer. They still should be sitting pretty...
| Dec 5, 2012
| 9:42 AM
Talking baseball while wondering if the Chicago Bears can win without Brian Urlacher:
1. Maybe the Angels knew what they were doing when they tried to get Carlos Marmol. Maybe another good offer will come along for him before too long.
| Nov 10, 2012
| 5:10 PM
While Hyun-jin Ryu is not yet a big name in North America, losing him was a bigger blow for the Cubs than you probably think.
President Theo Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer wanted the rights to the 25-year-old South Korean left-hander because they...
| Nov 14, 2012
| 6:48 PM
The best pitch in baseball? It's probably the fastball, although a good changeup is a close second.
As Commissioner Bud Selig heads toward retirement, with a legacy for creating labor peace and growing a game that had stagnated badly under his...
| Mar 30, 2013
| 1:18 PM
The Royals expect James Shields to be a difference maker. But were they close enough to being a playoff team before they added him?
That's the question about the deal in which the Royals sent future All-Star Wil Myers to the Rays.
It's too early to...
| Mar 30, 2013
| 1:10 PM
1. Tigers: Forget the concern at closer. They were loaded last year, and they're a lot better with Victor Martinez, Torii Hunter and a full year of Anibal Sanchez.
2. Dodgers: Hanley Ramirez's injury could slow them out of the gate, but they're deep and...