A: The best way to treat excessive or prolonged menstrual bleeding depends on the cause.
blood lost during a period so the diagnosis is usually made by assessing the menstrual symptoms.
- Needing to change a pad more often than every 3 hours during the day or needing to change a pad during the night
- Soaking through both a tampon and pad
- Passing large blood clots
- Feeling fatigue and other symptoms of anemia
Three main types of conditions cause menorrhagia:
- Hormone imbalance
- Uterine growth (such as a fibroid or polyp)
- Bleeding disorders