Princess Cruises officials on Tuesday reiterated some key features of the line's new 3,600-passenger Royal Princess Cruise ship during a media briefing at the 29th Cruise Shipping Miami conference at the Miami Beach Convention Center,
The next-generation ship will debut in June in Europe, with inaugural voyages to the Mediterranean and will reposition to Fort Lauderdale later in the year to sail to the Western Caribbean starting in the fall.
"This list points to the numerous large and small features that we’re introducing with our new ship,” Princess Executive Vice President Jan Swartz said. “The combination of exciting new hardware and software touches is the essence of Royal Princess.”
Here's the list of “20 Things You Don’t Know about Royal Princess”:
1. New (and Complimentary) On-Demand Stateroom Programming – A new generation of in-room television entertainment will offer an array of on-demand movies and other programming options.
2. Four Brand-New Original Production Shows – The ship's Princess Theater will debut four new production shows, including “Colors of the World,” an experiential journey through the destinations visited by Princess ships; “Spectacular!” a colorful music extravaganza; “Sweet Soul Music,” a tribute to rhythm and blues; and “What the World Needs Now,” an elegant show celebrating the music and style of the ‘60s.
3. Tea Tower with Sommelier and 250 Blends – Will feature a tea sommelier and a choice of 250 blends, tea lovers will revel in the ship's unique tea tower located in its central Piazza.
4. Art & Architecture Mobile Tour – This self-guided tour will enable passengers to explore the ship’s extensive $2 million-plus art collection using their personal smart phones or tablets. They can opt ro do the 30-stop tour at their leisure, or scan a QR code on each artwork to learn more about the artists and their work.
5. Outdoor Art Installation by Marine Artist Wyland – Marine artist Wyland is creating a dramatic, custom piece of sea-inspired art that will be installed on the ship’s top deck and revealed during the ship’s inaugural celebration in June.
6. Flair Bartending Shows – The top-deck SeaView Bar will feature midday and sunset flair bartending shows where bartenders display their bottle-tossing and mixing skills.
7. Whiskey Flights at Wheelhouse Bar – The ship's Wheelhouse Bar will feature a menu of three different whiskey flights – each featuring three whiskeys. Passengers can choose from single malts, three “Glens,” and other iconic whiskey options.
8. Daily Pub Lunch – Also in the Wheelhouse Bar, Princess’ popular English pub lunch will now be offered daily. Royal Princess will serve the full traditional pub-style lunch on all sea days – and on port days will offer fish and chips and a ploughman’s lunch – along with signature brews.
9. Mobile Cruise Information Intranet– Princess@Sea, a brand-new mobile-friendly intranet site will enable passengers to easily access daily updates on entertainment, onboard specials, weather and port news, plus review their onboard account from their personal mobile or tablet devices.
10. Royal Indulgence Package – New cabanas in The Sanctuary – which offer an array of exclusive treatments in this adults-only setting with incredible ocean views – will feature customized packages that range from $320 to $3,000.
11. Concierge Lounge for Suites – For the first time on a Princess ship, suite passengers can access an exclusive area to relax or work, with access to full front desk services, plus light snacks and beverages. They can also get help with shore excursions and specialty dining or spa reservations. It will also serve as a private disembarkation lounge for suite passengers.
12. Largest Gelato Menu at Sea – Royal Princess' new gelateria will serve up the largest variety of creamy Italian-inspired gelato and ice cream creations at sea. Gelato will feature eight delicious flavors and more than 20 toppings and sauces, plus specialty items such as sundaes, waffle cones and sweet crepes.
13. Sabatini’s Bites and Flights – The wine bar next to Sabatini’s Italian restaurant and Vines on deck 5, will now offer Sabatini’s Bites to accompany its popular wine flights.
14. Largest Outdoor Movie Screen at Sea – Royal's Movies Under the Stars screen is 30 percent larger than existing Princess ships' screens, and will be the largest at sea.
15. Touch Screen Photo Finder with Facial Recognition Technology – The ship's photo gallery will feature digital kiosks that use facial recognition technology to help passengers find all of their photographs.
16. Princess Live! All Day Programming – Another first for Princess, this new television studio is expected to be a lively place, featuring programming throughout the day from 8 am until midnight, including interviews with key cruise ship staff, live talk shows, demonstrations and other performances.
17. Four Different Water and Music Shows – The central pool area will feature daily and nightly performances of four separate themed sequences comprising dancing fountains, special music and live performers.
18. Largest Collection of Super Tuscan Wines at Sea – More than 20 choices of these headline-making wines from Tuscany will be available in Sabatini’s.
19. Largest Complimentary Pizza Restaurant at Sea – The 121-seat Alfredo’s Pizzeria, will be the largest such pizza restaurant at sea, and will have an expanded menu of freshly prepared Neapolitan-style pizzas, calzones, flatbreads and baked pasta.
20. Princess’ Greenest Ship – Royal Princess sports improved energy efficiencies, making it the line’s greenest ship. The ship's energy efficient features include a more fuel-efficient hull and propeller design, low energy and LED lighting and energy-saving air-conditioning systems.