• 1 / 2 cup fine-chopped yellow onions
salmon, squeezed dry and flaked with a fork
• 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried
• 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
• 1 / 2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
• 1 / 4 teaspoon salt
• 1 / 4 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 / 4 cup sour cream, for garnish
In a large bowl, combine the thawed hash browns with the onions. Mash with a fork until the mixture holds together. Add the salmon, eggs, dill, mustard, pepper and salt; mix well. Form the mixture into 8 patties, then roll them in the breadcrumbs to coat.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Place the patties in the pan (if necessary, cook the patties in two batches using half the oil for each batch) and cook 2 to 3 minute per side until well browned and heated through. Serve topped with sour cream. Makes 4 servings; 8 cakes.
Per cake: 312 calories, 44 percent calories from fat, 15 grams total fat, 4 grams saturated fat, 151 milligrams cholesterol, 26 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams total fiber, 2 grams total sugars, 24 grams net carbs, 17 grams protein, 423 milligrams sodium.