An article in the Sept. 6, 1913, edition of The Argus eased concerns of a woman's well-being after a false report of boating accident.
The report in the Baltimore papers Monday that Miss Annette Chase of Eden Terrace, who is spending the summer at Pine Orchard, near New London, Conn., had a narrow escape from drowning one day last week while canoeing, is without foundation. Miss Chase advises The Argus that her name was confused with that of a Miss Anne Chase of Waterbury, Conn., who, with two friends – Miss Plumb and Mr. Tate, of Waterbury, Conn.- were out in a canoe about a mile off the Montowese House, Indian Neck, when the canoe was overturned by the rough water.
A slight automobile accident occurred Sunday night at Edmondson avenue and Ingleside avenue, with the result that the Automobile Club of Maryland has made a request of the County Commissioners to place a large arc light at that point. At the intersection of the roads, there is a sharp turn into Ingleside avenue, instead of continuing along the street car tracks. Many automobile drivers at night follow the car tracks, which leads them into an orchard. This was the case with a seven-seat touring car Sunday night, but fortunately none of the occupants was injured.
Dr. Walter A. Low is suffering with a badly inflamed forefinger, the result of being bitten by a squirrel on Tuesday afternoon, while hunting in Howard county. Dr. Low had shot the squirrel, which fell into a thick under-growth, and in attempting to pick it up for dead the animal sank its teeth in his finger, piercing the nail and flesh.
Marcelen, the 7-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Irvin Huster, of Rognel and Bloomingdale avenue, had a narrow escape Friday night of last week when she swallowed a portion of a bichloride of mercury tablet at her home.
She was retiring for the night and in some manner got hold of the tablet, which was stored away in an old sugar bowl. The child began chewing the tablet for candy, which burned her tongue, causing her to scream. The mother and father discovered that the little girl had eaten a portion of the tablet and hastily prepared an emetic of salt and mustard water and she was soon out of danger.
75 Years Ago
An article in the Sept. 2, 1938, edition of The Catonsville Herald and Baltimore Countian announced the end of summer by publishing back-to school dates.
Baltimore County public high and elementary schools will reopen on Tuesday, September 13, at 9 a.m. All teachers will be in attendance at the various schools on Monday, September 12, at 9 a.m. for the enrollment of new pupils, the issuance of transfers, and will make necessary preparations for the beginning of the regular school schedules on the following day.
The Violetville Volunteer Fire Company on Monday afternoon extinguished what might have been a serious fire. Several small boys were playing with matches in an apple orchard at McTavish and Joh avenues, and set fire to some dry grass and weeds.
In a few minutes, the blaze had gained considerable headway, threatening nearby property and ruining fifteen trees loaded with ripening apples. The volunteers under Chief Purkey had the fire under control when a regular company from Baltimore arrived.
The Catonsville Community Athletic Club is reorganizing the football team for the coming season. The club invites all young men of Catonsville and vicinity who desire to play sandlot football this fall, to come to the initial practice session this Sunday, September 4, at 2 P.M. on the Catonsville High School grounds.
Players are cautioned to wear old, light weight clothing, as the practice will be light.
50 Years Ago
An article in the Sept. 5, 1963, edition of the Herald Argus and Baltimore Countian reported on the preparations for opening a new school.