An article from the July 5, 1962, edition of the Herald Argus and Baltimore Countian reported on the consequences of being bitten by a tick for one area youngster.

A case of Rocky Mountain spotted fever was reported in a five-year-old male residing in the southeastern section of the county during the week ended June 29, according to Dr. William H. F. Warthen, County Health Officer. The child is hospitalized and a complete epidemiological investigation is being made in order to determine the cause of the infection.


Three-year-old Kathryn Evans of Lansdowne was playing with other children at Mago Vista on the Magothy river last Sunday, July 1, when she suddenly disappeared beneath the surface of the water.

A companion summoned her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Evans of 3219 Bero road, and her father plunged in and pulled the little girl from the water. He applied artificial respiration, but the child failed to respond. She was taken to Anne Arundel General Hospital in Annapolis where she was pronounced dead on arrival.


This year again, Captain Clarence O. Bradley of the new Wilkens Police station advises vacationing residents in this area to notify the police department when they go away and also to ask their neighbors to keep a check on their property.

Before departure, discontinue daily papers, halt milk deliveries, lock all windows and leave shades in usual position. Place all valuables such as jewelry, cash, and silver in adequate safekeeping. Do not leave written instructions to tradespeople on your front porch. All suspicious persons or circumstances should be reported at once by calling the police at 823-2626.


When Halethorpe and Catonsville Police Districts combined forces in the new Wilkens Police Station, two important changes in plans took place.

Western Traffic Division, which also was supposed to move to the new station, retained its headquarters at Woodlawn.

The K-9 Corps, which originated at Catonsville and was later moved to Towson, is now back and is stationed at Wilkens. The nine and one-half acre tract at Wilkens and Walker avenues provides plenty of space for training the dogs to track and trail criminals, search buildings and control crowds.

Under construction at the rear of Wilkens Station is a sort of arena where strange looking pieces of equipment stand ready for use. There are wide pipes, ladders, hurdles, hoops, a big slant of log siding and many other odd appearing pieces of apparatus.

75 Years Ago

An article in the July 2, 1937 edition of The Catonsville Herald and Baltimore Countian reported the cause of a fatal accident was still under investigation.

Maryland's two hundred and sixtieth auto fatality of the year was listed Monday with the death of Edward J. Simons, thirty-six, of Meadowbrook avenue, Catonsville, at Frederick road and Mallow Hill avenue. Simons' car collided head-on with a street car.

Removed from the wreckage of his machine, Simons was taken toSt. Agnes' Hospital in a municipal ambulance and was pronounced dead on arrival. Physicians said he had received a compound fracture of the skull.

Exactly how the accident occurred was being investigated by police and by Automobile Coroner Hubert Curley. Patrolmen Thomas Tankersley and Vernon Schmidt, crew of radio scout car No. 72, reported that the street car, operated by Motorman Joseph Kindit, 500 block Arlington avenue, was east-bound. Simons was driving west.

In some unexplained manner, his car swerved from the westbound lane into the path of the trolley and crashed into the front of the car.