In less than a month, Casey Anthony will be forced to answer questions that have been a mystery since her daughter went missing in 2008, attorney Matt Morgan confirmed Thursday.
"Casey Anthony will not be permitted to plead the Fifth as her appeals have now been resolved," said Morgan, attorney for Zenaida Gonzalez, who has filed suit against Anthony. "We look forward to getting answers to the questions we have had for a very long time."
The deposition scheduled for Oct. 9 in Tampa is related to Gonzalez's defamation lawsuit.
- Get the latest headlines sent straight to your phone!
- Pictures: Photos entered as possible evidence in Casey Anthony trial
- Where are they now? Players in the Casey Anthony case
- Pictures: Actors cast in the Casey Anthony movie
- Pictures: Casey Anthony trial, reaction, release from jail
- Justice System
- Financially Distressed Companies
See more topics »
Anthony told detectives in 2008 that her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee, was kidnapped by a baby sitter named Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez.
But detectives said no such nanny existed.
The girl's body was found in December 2008.
Anthony was found not guilty of Caylee's death in 2011.
Anthony has never been required to answer questions about her daughter's disappearance under oath in court, and Morgan said he does not foresee any obstacles standing in the way of her deposition next month.
Charles Green, Anthony's attorney, was not available for comment Thursday.
News of the Oct. 9 deposition marks the latest milestone in Anthony's ongoing legal issues.
A federal judge last month approved a deal struck between Anthony and her bankruptcy trustee to avoid selling off the rights to her life story to pay back debtors.
In a joint filing last month, Anthony agreed to pay $25,000 to settle the dispute over whether the rights to her story would be sold as an asset in her Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
The trustee overseeing the liquidation of Anthony's estate "will relinquish any right to publicity and commercialization of [Anthony's] story" upon payment, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge K. Rodney May said in records.
The parties agreed the $25,000 settlement was in the best interest of creditors and would avoid a long legal fight over Anthony's story.
The parties wrote they had been unable to find case law addressing the trustee's "novel" proposal to sell her story rights, and each side had made "plausible" arguments.
Trustee Stephen L. Meininger filed a motion in March seeking to sell the "exclusive worldwide rights" to Anthony's story as an asset.
He withdrew the motion in May.
Anthony's lawyers said her story "exists solely within [Anthony's] mind," and its forced sale would be an "invasion" of her "private thoughts and First Amendment rights."
Anthony's bankruptcy filing did not list her story as an asset, but many have speculated it is the only one she has.
During a creditors meeting, she said she has been unemployed since her acquittal in her daughter's death in 2011 and is living off the charity of friends and her lawyers.
She has been in hiding since the verdict.
Anthony filed for bankruptcy in January, listing more than $792,000 in debt.
firstname.lastname@example.org or 407-420-5447