A bankruptcy judge will hear arguments today in Tampa about whether Casey Anthony should be forced to answer questions she refused during a combative deposition earlier this year.
Anthony declined to answer many questions during the Jan. 23 deposition, sometimes invoking her Fifth Amendment rights in response to queries from Zenaida Gonzalez's attorneys.
Many of the questions Anthony refused to answer concerned what she knew, and when, about the disappearance and death of her daughter, 2-year-old Caylee Anthony, in 2008.
- Gonzalez: Casey Anthony refused to answer deposition questions
- Hearing next month on Casey Anthony deposition questions
- Casey Anthony quizzed on Caylee, 'Zanny the nanny' in deposition
- Pictures: Photos entered as possible evidence in Casey Anthony trial
- Where are they now? Players in the Casey Anthony case
- Pictures: Actors cast in the Casey Anthony movie
See more photos »
- Courts and the Judiciary
- Casey Anthony
See more topics »
Gonzalez sued after Anthony claimed a similarly-named nanny had kidnapped the girl. Anthony's defense later conceded at trial that the nanny didn't exist and Caylee was dead.
However, in the deposition, Anthony said the name she gave authorities for the kidnapper, Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez, was the name of a real person she'd last seen in 2007.
She conceded in the deposition that what she told authorities was untrue: Neither the woman she named, nor the woman currently suing her, were involved in Caylee's disappearance.
Anthony was acquitted of murder in Caylee's death in 2011, but convicted of lying to law enforcement investigators. She has been living in hiding since the high-profile verdict.
The deposition stems from a complaint filed by Gonzalez's lawyers, arguing Anthony was malicious in damaging her reputation, so the suit should survive Anthony's bankruptcy.