Ariel Castro's son says he won't go to prison to see his father, the Cleveland man who kidnapped and held three women for a decade.
A penalty that keeps his father, 53, in prison was the better way to go than a death penalty, which could keep coming up in court, the son told Savannah Guthrie.
"This way is a lot better," Anthony Castro said. "He will be away for the rest of his life."
The son later added, "Because of all of this, my father will never be able to hurt anyone ever again."
The son said he was shocked by the magnitude of the crimes, but noted that he grew up in a home with a lot of violence. His father had a terrible temper and would resort to physical violence, the son recalled.
"I remember crying myself to sleep when I was a kid, because my legs were covered in welts from his belt," Anthony Castro said. "Seeing my mom getting beat up in our own home -- no one should ever have to see their mom crumpled up in a corner on the floor."
The son sees his father's life-in-prison penalty as justice for his mother, who would have been 50 on Tuesday.
In the past decade, the son said he had been in his father's house a few times. The son said he would enter through the back door and would talk with his dad in the kitchen.
Anthony Castro said locks on doors were not unusual when he lived in the house, and he recalled that there were places he couldn't go in the house as a child.
"Behind bars is where he belongs for the rest of his life," Anthony Castro said, because his father has no value for life.
As the interview concluded, the son said he had nothing to say to his father.
NBC highlighted that it had an exclusive interview with Castro's son. It's another sign of the escalating competition in morning television. Last week, ABC's "Good Morning America" offered a widely promoted interview with Maddy, a juror from the George Zimmerman trial. The juror talked to Robin Roberts in a widely quoted interview.