| Aug 30, 2011
| 4:45 PM
A ten-month old baby is at the DeVos Children’s Hospital after a severe case of lead poisoning that was discovered last week in Grand Rapids.
Nyi-Cear Vance was admitted on Saturday after a blood lead level of 50, said her mother 17-year old...
| Jul 5, 2011
| 7:38 PM
Challengers to Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake seized Tuesday on the Fourth of July violence — including the fatal stabbing of an Alabama man and the shooting of a 4-year-old boy around the fireworks display at the Inner Harbor — saying the...
| Oct 24, 2011
| 6:15 PM
Maryland's highest court struck down Monday a key provision of state law that shielded owners of older rental housing from civil lawsuits — and potentially costly payments to victims — if they took precautions to protect children in their...
| Oct 24, 2011
| 12:57 PM
Lead can do great harm, especially to young children. Childhood lead poisoning at low levels may make learning difficult, interfere with growth, harm hearing and delay development. At high levels, lead may cause coma, convulsions and even death. The...
| Oct 27, 2011
| 9:31 AM
The Maryland Court of Appeals decision this week to throw out liability limits for landlords upsets what had been one of the most productive compromises to come out of Annapolis in recent memory. The state's 1994 lead paint law, a product of extensive...
| Nov 7, 2011
| 3:00 AM
In the 1960s, Baltimore's leaders, driven by both desperate need and newfound vision, enacted a first-of-its-kind housing code for the City of Baltimore. Its provisions ensured that Baltimore's residents, including even the poorest, would be able to...
| Nov 7, 2011
| 7:20 PM
Lead is a very strong poison. When a person swallows a lead object or breathes in lead dust, some of the poison can stay in the body and cause serious health problems.
Lead used to be very common in gasoline and house paint in the U.S....
| Nov 9, 2011
| 11:44 AM
Have you ever seen an injured swan and been unsure of what to do or who to call? Apparently enough people have experienced this dilemma to prompt the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) to establish a new hotline.
The new number was...
| Sep 15, 2011
| 5:41 PM
In a class action lawsuit filed Thursday, Kennedy Krieger Institute is accused of exposing poor black children to "dangerous levels" of lead as part of a housing experiment in the 1990s.
The suit, filed Thursday in Baltimore City Circuit Court by...
| Sep 17, 2011
| 4:40 PM
The Housing Authority of Baltimore City often cites a lack of funds to explain its refusal to pay nearly $12 million in court-ordered judgments to former public housing residents who suffered permanent lead-paint poisoning as children.
But the city's...
| Sep 20, 2011
| 6:12 PM
Lead poisoning, once widespread, appears on the way to becoming a rarity among children living in old rental housing in Baltimore and the rest of Maryland. But the problem is growing among youngsters who live in owner-occupied and newer rental homes,...