Recipe: Bolognese sauce
Bolognese (Glenn Koenig / Los Angeles Times / October 12, 2011)
Total time: About 1 hour, 15 minutes.
Servings: This makes about 3 quarts of Bolognese sauce.
3 tablespoons butter, divided
4 ounces prosciutto, finely diced
2 onions, finely diced
2 stalks celery, finely diced
2 carrots, finely diced
4 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
3 cloves garlic, crushed
8 ounces lean ground beef
8 ounces ground pork (or pork shoulder, cut into small dice)
8 ounces ground veal (or veal stew meat, cut into small dice)
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1/3 cup dry red wine
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup beef broth
2 large (28- or 32-ounce) cans pureed San Marzano tomatoes
1 cup heavy cream, more if desired
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
1. Heat the pressure cooker insert and melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add the prosciutto and brown, stirring frequently.
2. Add the onion, celery and carrot, oregano and fennel and continue to cook until lightly caramelized, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic. Strain the vegetables to a bowl, leaving the fat in the insert.
3. Add the remaining butter and brown the ground beef, pork and veal, stirring frequently and breaking up any lumps. Stir in the tomato paste.
4. Add the red wine, stirring to scrape up any flavorings from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer, then stir back in the vegetables.
5. Stir in the salt, black pepper, then stir in the beef broth. Stir in the tomatoes and cream. Seal the pressure cooker and bring to high pressure. Cook at high pressure for 8 minutes.
6. Release pressure naturally (about 10 minutes, depending on the cooker) and carefully remove the lid. Skim the fat if desired and stir. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed, and add a little extra cream, if desired. This makes about 3 quarts Bolognese sauce. Stir in the parsley before serving.
Each one-half cup sauce: 157 calories; 9 grams protein; 10 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fiber; 10 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 42 mg cholesterol; 5 grams sugar; 630 mg sodium.