Recipe: Peppermint pinwheels
(Glenn Koenig / Los Angeles Times)
Submitted by Shauna Cruz of Vallejo, Calif., originally published in Taste of Home magazine
'Four years ago, my roommates and I started the "Annual Christmas Cookie Sweatshop" party for our friends and family, and I make over 1,000 cookies for them to eat and decorate (hence the "sweatshop"). Every year, there is high demand for the peppermint pinwheels!'
Total time: 50 minutes, plus chilling time
Servings: About 4 dozen cookies
Our recipes, your kitchen: If you try any of the L.A. Times Test Kitchen recipes from this week's Food section, please share it with us: Click here to upload pictures of the finished dish.
3/4 cup (1 ½ sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/4 teaspoon red liquid food coloring
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in the egg yolk and vanilla until thoroughly combined.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture, or stir in the flour mixture by hand until evenly combined to form a dough.
3. Divide the dough in half, and add the food coloring and peppermint extract to one of the halves.
4. On a large work surface, roll each portion of dough between wax paper into a 16-by-10-inch rectangle. Remove the wax paper and place the red rectangle over the plain one, then roll up the dough lengthwise jelly-roll style. Wrap the roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight, or until firm.
5. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Unwrap the roll and cut it into one-fourth-inch-thick slices. Place the slices 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake until set, 12 to 14 minutes. Cool 2 minutes before removing the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Each of 4 dozen cookies: 58 calories; 1 gram protein; 7 grams carbohydrates; 0 fiber; 3 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 12 mg cholesterol; 3 grams sugar; 30 mg sodium.