1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
12 slices sandwich bread
12 slices ham
Prepared béchamel sauce
6 slices Swiss cheese, diced
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Salt and pepper
6 eggs, fried sunny-side up
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Butter 6 slices of bread. Top each slice of bread with 2 slices of ham, then divide the béchamel sauce evenly between the sandwiches, spreading it over the ham. Top each of the sandwiches with a second slice of bread.
3. In a small bowl, toss together the diced Swiss cheese and the mozzarella. Season the mixture with one-fourth teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper, or to taste.
4. Divide the cheese mixture evenly between the sandwiches, mounding it on top of each sandwich.
5. Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet and bake until the cheese is melted, 5 to 8 minutes, depending on the oven. This may need to be done in more than one batch.
6. Top each sandwich with a fried egg and serve immediately.
Each sandwich: 699 calories; 38 grams protein; 40 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 43 grams fat; 23 grams saturated fat; 334 mg. cholesterol; 8 grams sugar; 1,660 mg. sodium.
ALSO:Easy dinner recipes: Chicken, chicken and more chicken