Driver in Fatal PCH Ferrari Crash Has 2 DUI Convictions

The men reportedly did not have permission to drive the car.
VIDEO: Watch Jaime Chambers Report


11:27 AM EDT, September 19, 2011


PACIFIC PALISADES, Calif. (KTLA) -- A driver who crashed a Ferrari along Pacific Coast Highway, killing his passenger and splitting the car in half, has twice been convicted of driving under the influence, court records show. Authorities have not determined whether alcohol was involved in the crash.

PCH was closed in both directions early Sunday morning after the Ferrari flew 30 feet down a cliff and onto the beach just before 1:30 a.m. near the 17300 block of PCH, police said.

The Ferrari sheared a power pole on its way over the cliff. The impact split the car in half, with the two pieces landing about 60 feet apart.

The passenger -- Basil Max Price III, 23, of Pomona -- was ejected from the car and was later pronounced dead at the scene. Paramedics rushed the driver -- Vladimir Skortsov, 24, of Upland -- to UCLA Medical Center where he was listed in critical condition. Police called his injuries "severe."

It's estimated the Ferrari was traveling at around 90 mph at the time of the crash, police said. The speed limit is 45.

San Bernardino court records show that Skvortsov was cited in January for driving under the influence and was convicted twice before for DUI. Skvortsov's first DUI conviction occurred in 2007, before he turned 21.

He was most recently cited in July for driving with a suspended license.

Authorities are investigating the cause of the crash.

Price's mother said the boys, who were friends, didn't have permission to be in the Ferrari and had taken the car for a joyride.

The downed power pole caused a temporary power outage in the area, officials said.

PCH was re-opened at about 7:30 a.m., but the Nautica Malibu Triathlon, a fundraiser for the Pediatric Cancer Research Program at Children's Hospital Los Angeles, was slightly delayed because of the wreck, according to the Los Angeles Times.

A triathlon spokeswoman said the race was delayed by about 10 minutes.