Ex-Deputy Gets 4 Life Sentences in Torture, Mutilation of Wife, Her Lover
IRVINE, Calif. (KTLA) -- A former L.A. County Sheriff's deputy convicted of raping and torturing his wife and her lover has been sentenced to 4 consecutive life terms in prison.

The handed down the sentence Friday, saying Robert McClain exhibited "callousness" and "extreme violence" in an hours-long attack on his wife and her lover.

"This is one of the worst things I have seen in a long time," Superior Court Judge Gary Paer said at McClain's sentencing.

The jury deliberated less than two hours before agreeing Robert McClain was sane during the attack the night of Sept. 28, 2008 in an Irvine leasing office break room.

McClain, who is also a former Marine, had pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to the Sept. 28, 2008 attack.

He was convicted in May of aggravated mayhem, torture, forcible oral copulation, spousal rape, sodomy by force and false imprisonment.

Prosecutors say the attack took place after McClain's unidentified wife announced she was leaving him for a 23-year-old man who lived in the Irvine apartment complex where she worked.

McClain asked his wife to take him to meet the young man.

The two of them went to the young man's apartment about 10 p.m., but McClain then led the pair to the leasing office, which has a kitchenette area, Orange County District Attorney spokeswoman Farrah Emami said.

Court records allege McClain repeatedly punched and kicked the victims and forced them at knife-point to undress and ordered them to engage in a sex act.

At one point, prosecutors said, the deputy ordered his wife to castrate the young man.

She "fearfully pretended to follow his instructions," Emami said.

McClain then used the knife to repeatedly slice the man's face.

Authorities say the attack spanned nearly nine hours.

Once they left the leasing office, McClain allegedly forcibly sodomized the woman, chopped off her hair with the knife and then drove her back to their Irvine home, Emami said.

Police were called to the leasing office around 7:30 a.m. on Monday by a cleaning crew.

They found the 23-year-old victim bleeding and unconscious on the floor.

While investigating the attack on the man, police learned that the deputy's wife had driven herself and her 4 children to a hospital around 5 a.m. where she reported the assault.

The father of the injured man said his son's face was beaten so severely that he could hardly recognize him.

Both victims are still suffering the effects of the savage attack, prosecutors said.

The man suffered brain damage, several bone fractures in his face, excessive blood loss and numerous stab wounds.

His mouth had to be wired shut and he spent months re-learning to walk and talk, according to prosecutors.

The wife also suffered several injuries.