COVINA, Calif. (KTLA) -- A Covina mother has been arrested after authorities say her two children ate a marijuana-laced cookie and ended up in the hospital.

The girls, ages 10 and 11, found a chocolate chip cookie wrapped in plastic in the kitchen and split it between themselves, according to Covina police officials.

The girls began feeling ill and were taken to a local hospital around 7 p.m. Monday.

Toxicology tests indicated the girls were under the influence of pot, Covina police Lt. Tim Doonan said.

The cookie allegedly belonged to their mother, 33-year-old Veronica Sylvester.

Sylvester was booked on suspicion of child endangerment and child protective services were notified, Doonan said.

Sylvester allegedly told police she got the cookie from a friend for medical purposes.

Police say she does not have a prescription for medical marijuana.