Suspect Michael Riley III is wanted for abducting 2 children

Suspect Michael Riley III is wanted for abducting 2 children (May 22, 2012)

A man who allegedly took his ex-girlfriend's Lexus containing his 7-month-old son and his ex's 2-year-old son from a Burien parking lot, prompting police to issue an Amber Alert for several hours, was charged Friday with 4 different felony counts.

Detectives said the man, Michael Riley, 23, approached his former girlfriend in the parking lot of the Burien Library and tried to take his son shortly after noon on Tuesday.

Riley was charged with second degree kidnapping, unlawful possession of a firearm, felony violation of a no contact order, and taking a motor vehicle without permission in the second degree.

On Wednesday, his bail was set at $400,000.

"When she wouldn't give him (the boy) to him, he started taking swings at her," King County Sheriff's spokeswoman Cindi West said. "There was a physical exchange between the two. She fled away from the car for her safety as he was beating her apparently, and he jumped in the car and took off with the car and the kids."

With his 7-month-old son, Jamier Riley, and Jamier's 2-year-old half-brother, Jermiah Watkins, in the back seat, the man was on the run and immediately a statewide Amber Alert was issued.

"Obviously a very, very dangerous situation with a person that's a known gang member, possibly armed, who had taken these two young children," King County Sheriff Steve Strachan said later.

With law enforcement all over Western Washington on the lookout, the dark green 1994 Lexis G300 Riley was driving was spotted on a state Department of Transportation roadway camera.

By then the LoJack tracking system in the car had already been activated and was being tracked by officers in LoJack-equipped squad cars and King County's LoJack-equipped helicopter.

At about 4:30 p.m., deputies and Washington State Patrol troopers were able to lock on to the signal in the Three Tree Point area of Burien.

"The suspect, Riley, attempted to exit the vehicle," Strachan said. "They took him down to the ground. They did locate a .38 caliber handgun." 

The sheriff said it appeared Riley had been smoking crack while driving around with the two boys in the back seat. But both of the boys were OK and were returned to their mother unharmed.

"It was the best day of my job right now,” sheriff's deputy Paul Mulligan said. “We got two kids back to their mom and we got a dangerous guy off the streets, so, yeah, it's a great day." 

Riley's former girlfriend just last month had taken out a no-contact order against him. He is also barred from possessing firearms.

In addition to those apparent violations, possible kidnapping, car theft and assault charges could be filed against him later this week. Riley is due to make his first court appearance Wednesday afternoon.