A criminally insane killer who escaped during a mental hospital field trip to the Spokane County Fair has been transferred back to Eastern State Hospital in Spokane.

The escaped convicted killer was taken to Yakima County Jail Sunday night. A jail sergeant says 47 year-old Philip Arnold Paul was cooperative when he was booked.

Spokane Valley Police Detective Roger Knight spoke to Q13 FOX News about Paul's capture. Detective Knight was the officer Paul assaulted almost 20 years. He tells Q13 FOX News that it was an irony that he would be there when Paul was captured the second time around.

Paul was found in Goldendale Sunday, three days after escaping during a supervised trip to the Spokane County Fair.

Spokane County Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich says his Office received information that Paul had left Spokane and headed south toward the Oregon border.

"We received a confidential tip yesterday afternoon that Mr. Paul had been dropped off in the Goldendale area," said Knezovich.

The Spokane County Sheriff's Office says Paul duped someone into giving him a ride to Goldendale.

When Detective Knight found out about his second escape, he simply said, "I was pretty shocked."

Detective Knight says he was beaten by Paul on September 1, 1991 when he was taking him in after his first escape from an institution. He continues to have a shoulder injury from the assault.

Police had been searching for Paul since Thursday. That's when he walked away from the Spokane County Fair during an outing with 30 other Eastern State Hospital patients. Authorities believe Paul had been planning his escape for several months. He brought a backpack with him to the fair that held his belongings and some money.

Sheriff Knezovich says law enforcement is still outraged that Paul managed to walk away.

"My question is if someone was non compliant in taking his medications what made anybody believe he would be compliant on a field trip to the Spokane County fair on family day," said Knezovich.

Detective Knight says that Paul knew they were out to capture him when they found him along the side of a road in Goldendale. Paul told detectives he had been drinking his own urine to counteract the medication given to him at Eastern State Hospital. Detective Knight simply says, "They need to take better care of their people."

On Sunday night Secretary Susan Dreyfus of the Department of Social and Health Services addressed those concerns with Q13 FOX News by phone.

"Mr. Paul should not have been at the fair, it was a poor choice in terms of having him there. I'm having a really hard time understanding the lapse of time it took between when we knew he was missing and when law enforcement was called," said Dreyfus.

According to Dreyfus her Office is now reviewing security measures and policies in response to Paul walking away from the fair. Dreyfus has also ordered an immediate halt in any hospital outings for patients. Plus, in the future patients will be searched before and after going on outings.

Greg Davis is president of Washington Federation of State Employees Local 782. He says the union shared concerns with state officials about allowing patients with questionable behavioral records to go on field trips. The secretary of the Department of Social and Health Services has ordered a review that may end such outings.

Paul was committed after he was acquitted by reason of insanity in the 1987 slaying of an elderly woman in Sunnyside. He soaked the woman's body in gasoline to throw off search dogs and buried the remains in her flower garden.

Thirty-one patients from the mental hospital were on the trip Thursday with 11 staff members. Dreyfus said she did not know how many of those had violent criminal backgrounds.

On the outings, patients wear street clothing and staff members are required to keep each patient within eyesight at all times.

Henry said trips to the fair were an annual event. The last escape from the forensic unit occurred in 1992, he said.

This was the second escape for Paul. In 1991, he walked away during a day trip in Medical Lake and was later captured. He attacked a sheriff's deputy in the jail booking area, knocking him unconscious, and was convicted of first-degree escape and second-degree assault.

Hospital officials said Paul hadn't exhibited violent behavior in years. They argued in the past that he should be released, but his petition for release was rejected in 2003.