Two more acquisitions completed for Funkstown bypass; three still needed
The Washington County Board of Commissioners on Tuesday approved two more property acquisitions for its planned Funkstown bypass project.
With the commissioners’ unanimous votes to purchase, the county now needs only three more individual pieces of land and several temporary construction easements to begin the first construction phase of the road to be known as Southern Boulevard, which will initially connect East Oak Ridge Drive west of Funkstown to a roundabout at Frederick Street.
Later phases of the project will extend the roadway to South Edgewood Drive off Dual Highway in eastern Hagerstown.
One acquisition, at a cost of $4,775, was for a 1,904-square-feet tract near the East Oak Ridge intersection for drainage and slopes, as well as a temporary construction easement, county Real Property Administrator Joe Kuhna said.
The other purchase is a smaller piece of land at 1229 Frederick St., where the traffic circle is planned. The tract cost $520 and covers about 300 square feet, which Kuhna said will allow for some widening of the roadway for the circle.
County Administrator Gregory B. Murray said the first phase of the bypass is fully funded through the county’s Capital Improvement Plan. According to the CIP budget, the total cost for the initial phase is a little more than $8.9 million.
Construction could begin within three months once the final tracts of land and easements are secured, Murray said.
Airport vehicle bids rejected, to be rebid
The Washington County Board of Commissioners on Tuesday decided to reject and rebid a proposal for the purchase of a new aircraft rescue fire fighting truck due to Federal Aviation Administration specification revisions.
Hagerstown Regional Airport Director Phil Ridenour said the county has secured a $517,000 grant through the FAA to cover 90 percent of the purchase. County and state funds will cover the remaining 10 percent, with $28,000 coming from each.
“The money is sitting there waiting for us,” he said.
At least one vendor protested the bidding process due to the change in FAA revisions, and the rejection and rebid was approved unanimously by the five commissioners.
The new vehicle will replace one of the airport’s two crash response trucks, which are model years 1996 and 1980, Ridenour said previously.
— C.J. Lovelace