A number of chickens were killed when a shed caught fire Monday in the 1000 block of Harpers Ferry Road in Knoxville, Md., the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office said.
The fire, which was reported at 3:06 p.m. Monday, caused an estimated $4,000 in damages to the structure and $1,000 in damages to the contents, according to a news release from the fire marshal’s office .
Authorities said combustibles ignited while the owners of the shed were using a heating lamp to keep young chicks warm.
About 15 firefighters from Sharpsburg, Potomac Valley, Brunswick, Md., and Shepherdstown, W.Va., responded to the fire.
The fire marshal’s office said firefighters took about 20 minutes to get the flames under control.