U.S. health insurers are snapping up rivals as they look to take advantage of a major expansion in the U.S. government's health program.
Listed below are some recent deals in this space:
- SXC Health Solutions Corp to buy rival pharmacy benefit manager Catalyst Health Solutions Inc for $4.4 billion.
- Health insurer Universal American Corp, which was seen as a takeover candidate, will buy privately owned APS Healthcare Inc for $227.5 million to expand its Medicare services.
- UnitedHealth Group Inc plans to acquire privately held XLHealth Corp.
- SXC Health Solutions Corp to buy privately held smaller rival HealthTrans LLC for $250 million in cash.
- Health insurer Amerigroup Corp to buy all of the operating assets and contracting rights of Medicaid manager Health Plus for $85 million in cash to expand its presence in New York.