| Nov 2, 2013
| 12:13 PM
The military veterans, gathered to celebrate the nation's bicentennial, had made it through World War I, World War II, Korea or Vietnam, only to be struck down by the mist from a hotel's air-conditioning system.
It was the first time the world would...
| Nov 14, 2013
| 5:40 AM
DuPage County health officials say they have linked two cases of Legionnaires' disease to a hot tub at an LA Fitness club in Naperville.
The men came down with the respiratory disease toward the end of October, according to Jason Gerwig, a spokesman...
| Jul 30, 2013
| 10:43 AM
Four inmates at the State Correctional Institution-Somerset have been diagnosed with Legionnaires’ disease.
The state Department of Corrections confirmed the illnesses on Tuesday. One inmate was diagnosed July 15, the second case was diagnosed...
| Aug 15, 2013
| 3:06 PM
Water is being tested at Roxbury Correctional Institution south of Hagerstown after an inmate was taken to a Baltimore hospital to be treated for Legionnaires’ disease, according to a state prison official.
The inmate, who was in his 40s, was...
| Aug 16, 2013
| 6:44 PM
An inmate at a Western Maryland state prison tested positive for the bacterium that causes Legionnaires' disease, prompting an investigation of the facility's water and air-conditioning systems, corrections officials said Friday.
The inmate, a man in his...
| Jun 7, 2013
| 3:07 PM
We owe our veterans a debt of gratitude that can never be repaid. Like Members of Congress, employees and executives of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) are public servants and have a solemn obligation to ensure that our...
| Jun 10, 2013
| 11:08 AM
U.S. Rep. Keith Rothfus, R-Sewickley, spent Monday morning on a job evaluation of sorts at the Somerset Senior Community Center.
"When I was elected I was employed by the people of my district, so I am here to meet some of my employers," he said....
| Oct 4, 2012
| 5:24 PM
Although the bacteria that causes Legionnaires’ disease – an illness blamed for the deaths of three Loop hotel guests this summer – was found Thursday in three far west suburban Batavia schools, district officials assured levels were low...
| Nov 2, 2012
| 3:15 AM
A wrongful-death lawsuit was filed Thursday against Marriott International, claiming that a downtown Chicago hotel is responsible for infecting an Irish tourist with Legionnaires’ disease.
The lawsuit, filed in Cook County Circuit Court, says...
| Aug 21, 2012
| 1:15 PM
Three cases of Legionnaires' disease have been linked to a downtown Chicago hotel, and public health officials and the hotel are reaching out to more than 8,000 people who stayed there to warn them of possible exposure.
Guests who stayed at the...
| Aug 28, 2012
| 5:17 AM
Two people have died after contracting Legionnaires' disease in an outbreak linked to a downtown Marriott hotel this summer, Chicago Department of Public Health officials said Monday.
The two dead are among eight people who came down with Legionnaires'...