HOW IT GOT ITS NAME: Originally a parish of Middletown settled about 1700, Middlefield was named in 1744, probably after Middletown. It was incorporated in June 1866.

HIGBY MOUNTAIN: Located on a trap rock ridge, Middlefield and Middletown's Higby Mountain features blue-blazed hiking trails and a 892-foot peak oering spectacular views. Along one trail is a cave that was frequented by the legendary Leatherman, a silent vagabond wearing a makeshift suit of leather scraps who walked a 365-mile loop between the Connecticut and Hudson rivers in the mid- to late-1800s.

WINTERFEST: Lyman Orchard's 39th Annual Winterfest will be held Saturday, Feb. 26, and Sunday, Feb. 27. The event features ice sculpting contests, dog sled demonstrations, horse-drawn wagon rides, fruit tree pruning workshops, and free food samplings. For more information, visit lymanorchards.com or call 860-349-1793.

SOURCES: Connecticut Place Names; The Hartford Courant; lymanorchards.com