Rocky Hill Rallies Past H-K For First Title

Rocky Hill's Nick Bogus is called safe under the tag of H-K pitcher Griffin Bremer for the tying run in the sixth inning. (David Butler II)

MIDDLETOWN — For the first time in Rocky Hill athletics history, the Terriers are No. 1 in baseball.

Rocky Hill scored the winning run on a bases-loaded walk in the seventh inning to defeat Haddam-Killingworth 4-3 in the CIAC Class M championship game Saturday night before 1,800 at Palmer Field.

"Before the season started, I asked the team what they wanted to do," Rocky Hill coach Chris Farrell said. "Everyone, especially the seniors, wanted to be champions."

Rocky Hill (23-2), the No. 1 seed, proved it was No. 1 by coming back from a 3-1 deficit after 5 1/2 innings. The victory was its 17th in a row.

The loss was a tough one for H-K coach Mark Brookes. The only coach in school history, who earned his 600th career victory last month, saw his title game record drop to 0-5.

With the bases loaded and two outs in the sixth, and Rocky Hill trailing 3-1, the Terriers tied the score on Griffin Bremer's wild pitch. The ball bounced near the Rocky Hill dugout on the third base side. Brian Batalis scored and then pinch runner Nick Bogus slid home too. He appeared to be out on catcher Tyler Popp's throw to Bremer at the plate. But umpire Craig Funaro called him safe.

"The ball never went in the dugout, and I waved him in," Farrell said. "The catcher's throw was to the inside, and my guy slid to the outside."

Brookes had a different view. "It was a good tag," he said. "I thought the throw beat him. We had everything but an out call. It looked like [Funaro] was blocked out by their players. He told me had a clear view."

Fortified by the rally, Rocky Hill won the game in the seventh against Brian Moskey, who relieved Bremer after the lefthander pitched six innings.

Moskey hit Dave Sevigny with a pitch, and he went to second on a wild pitch. With one out, Brandon Grover singled him to third. Spencer Bunting was walked intentionally. Moskey then threw a high fastball on a 3-and-2 pitch to Josh Zawisa to end the game.

"Our guys never quit, just like all season," said Tommy Seaver, who pitched the seventh and got the win.

Bunting had pitched the first six innings, allowing three runs on four hits. The first run was unearned in the first. No. 11 Haddam-Killingworth (19-8) added a run in the fifth on Trevor Mann's infield RBI single and one in the sixth on Joe Aitken's RBI single.

Bunting had a no-hitter for 4 1/3 innings before Moskey doubled. He later scored on Mann's hit.

"We were trailing by two runs with two outs and no one on in the sixth," Farrell said. "And we won."

Bremer, who's headed to Southern Connecticut next season, looked in control. But things unraveled in the sixth when he walked two, gave up a single and had the costly wild pitch.

"We're proud to be part of Rocky Hill baseball history," said Seaver, celebrating with his teammates.