| Dec 27, 2013
| 6:00 AM
One summer Saturday in the Bay Area city of Richmond, nitric acid leaked from a tank at a metal plating company, forming a toxic cloud that floated over a neighborhood of small houses and stucco apartments.
"People were coughing. They were gasping for...
| Nov 12, 2013
| 8:36 PM
A judge has ordered a metal plating company in Richmond, Calif., to remove large quantities of hazardous waste, including potentially deadly cyanide, after state officials argued that it poses a health threat to nearby residents.
Contra Costa County...
| Nov 18, 2013
| 8:36 AM
Join us at 9 a.m. when we talk with reporter Jessica Garrison about California's failure to track toxic waste.
The state regularly fails to keep track of thousands of tons of dangerous chemicals and toxic metals shipped for disposal on the state's roads...
| Dec 4, 2013
| 2:21 PM
A truck carrying dangerous radioactive material used in medical treatments was stolen in central Mexico, the United Nations nuclear watchdog agency said Wednesday.
Mexico informed the Vienna-based International Atomic Energy Agency that the truck was...
| Dec 4, 2013
| 5:01 PM
VIENNA/MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexican police have found dangerous radioactive medical material stolen by thieves that the United Nations said could provide an ingredient for a "dirty bomb," the country's national nuclear safety commission CNSNS said on...
| Dec 5, 2013
| 3:18 PM
MEXICO CITY -- Authorities sought at least two thieves on Thursday who had seized a truck with radioactive material in central Mexico, while a family who found and took home the exposed stolen container was under medical observation, officials said.
| Dec 13, 2013
| 9:08 PM
A flatbed truck pulled away from the port of Baltimore last week carrying uranium once packed into nuclear warheads aimed at the United States.
The shipment, bound for a processing plant in Kentucky, marked the end of a 20-year collaboration to convert...
| May 28, 2013
| 4:05 PM
Wal-Mart Stores Inc. admitted to improperly handling and disposing of hazardous materials at its stores nationwide, pleading guilty Tuesday to several federal criminal and civil counts and agreeing to pay more than $81 million.
The accusations against...
| Feb 22, 2011
| 4:07 PM
It was one of Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit's most famous inventions, in 1714. But after nearly 300 years on the market, the still-common mercury thermometer now appears headed for extinction.
While many Maryland residents probably still have them in their...
| Feb 16, 2011
| 4:38 PM
A Glendale Heights man was seriously injured when fireworks exploded inside his home today, prompting the evacuation of 10 nearby houses, authorities said.
Agents from the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives assisted local...
| Feb 17, 2011
| 7:26 PM
Have you ever been instructed by your spouse that it is your turn to cook dinner, then 4 p.m. comes around and you just realized you have not taken anything out of the freezer? You then look in the refrigerator for leftovers and your mind starts coming up...