| Oct 3, 2011
| 10:55 AM
Tonight at 7 p.m., Jack’s Mannequin, the Orange County, Calif. band founded by Andrew McMahon in 2004 as a side project from his regular gig in Something Corporate, is releasing 11 short films on their YouTube channel to coincide with a sold-out...
| Oct 7, 2011
| 8:06 AM
It’s the third anniversary of the birth of Spotify, the music service that allows you to listen to good-sounding music free of charge, assuming you can deal with the commercials.
(Can anyone identify the accent of the announcer? “...
| Oct 21, 2011
| 11:38 AM
In a recent New York Times book review, composer John Adams opened with this line describing Gustav Mahler (1860-1911), the Austrian composer and conductor whose mature works include nine symphonies (plus a tenth, incomplete one), miscellaneous,...
| Nov 7, 2011
| 11:50 AM
Carolyn Kuan (pictured) leads the Hartford Symphony Orchestra and eight vocalists from Yale in a jam-packed operatic program, presenting semi-staged scenes from such opera favorites as Puccini's La Bohème, Verdi's La Traviata, Mozart's Overture to Le...
| May 29, 2011
Insightful. Witty. Energetic. A good listener.
However you might describe him, Hartford Symphony Orchestra conductor Edward Cumming has become iconic in Hartford. After nine seasons, he is leaving his post as HSO music director, conducting his farewell...
| Sep 4, 2012
| 9:30 AM
1) Don Ross & Brooke Miller, Bridge Street Live, 41 Bridge St., Collinsville, (860) 693-9762, Thurs. 8 p.m., $20-$30, 41bridgestreet.com.
2) Amy Helm, Iron Horse Music Hall, 20 Center St., Northampton, (413) 586-8686, Thurs. 7 p.m., $15-$18, iheg.com....
| Apr 25, 2012
| 6:20 AM
1) Stephen Haynes and Joe Morris Present "Improvisations VII," $12-$15. Thurs., 7 p.m. Real Art Ways, Hartford.
2) Counting Crows, $50-$85. Fri., 8 p.m. MGM Grand at Foxwoods, Mashantucket.
3) Mandrake Mechanism w/ Castle and Push Method, Fri., Sullys...
| Aug 30, 2009
Life, even for rising orchestra conductors, can be unfair. Consider one response to Alan Gilbert, new music director of the New York Philharmonic, after he leads Mozart's "Jupiter" Symphony in a packed college auditorium in Queens to loud applause. In the...