| Apr 3, 2014
| 2:21 PM
Five-year-old Zoe Edelman grabbed onto a fire hose Saturday and cranked the handle backward to let water blast from the nozzle.
She and a few dozen other children were getting a taste of what it would be like to become a firefighter when they grow up....
| Mar 31, 2014
| 3:19 PM
There are coincidences and incidents of fortuitous timing, and there is the tale of George Krieger's house and William and Mary's firefighting foursome.
A random Friday morning round of golf among four Tribe athletes launched a series of implausible...
| Mar 31, 2014
| 1:10 PM
When he was 10 years old, growing up in Deerfield, Christopher Gottschalk played hockey and dreamed of becoming a firefighter. On a cold morning in December, his passion and training drove him to save a man, helpless and gasping for breath, inside a...
| Mar 25, 2014
| 9:19 AM
Who says it’s not easy being green?
When it comes to installing and operating a swimming pool, there are plenty of options that will allow consumers to have the pool of their dreams while protecting and preserving the environment.
It is more...
| Mar 5, 2014
I'm guessing that if you call 911 to report a fire in Los Angeles, you probably wouldn't want me showing up with a hose and a helmet. But just in case I had an untapped aptitude for putting out blazes, I decided to try my hand at the sample test questions...
| Mar 4, 2014
| 10:46 AM
As a long time resident of Harford County, I am proud of the beautiful parks and outdoor amenities that are available to the public. I enjoy hiking in the Rocks, biking with my children, play dates at Annie's Playground and running with my dog,...
| Feb 26, 2014
| 5:44 PM
The Fire Museum of Greater Chicago isn't a grandiose thing, looming over a park like the Field Museum or over Michigan Avenue like the Art Institute.
It sits in a long-retired, single-bay Chicago firehouse in the 5200 block of South Western Avenue, just...
| Feb 6, 2014
| 2:56 PM
Dear Answer Angel Ellen: I received two statement necklaces as gifts. Now I need to know how to wear them. What to pair them with? Casual and dressy looks? I love the sparkle.
— Debbie B.
Dear Debbie: I love the sparkle too! In fact, I love...
| Feb 5, 2014
| 8:21 PM
A fire caused an estimated $100,000 in damage to the attached garage of a house in the 200 block of Canvasback Drive in Havre de Grace Wednesday evening, according to fire officials.
The cause of the fire was attributed to a portable generator in the...
| Jan 28, 2014
| 5:21 PM
If you were to ask me where the worst place is to start your career as a sewer worker, I might have said behind a chili restaurant. That’s where mine started.
My career lasted only a morning, and I didn’t actually do any sewer work. That...
| Jan 24, 2014
| 8:06 PM
A Carroll County volunteer firefighter was flown to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center after a hose burst and struck him Friday afternoon at a fire scene, officials said.
The injuries are not life-threatening, said Byron Welker, assistant chief of the...