Nearly two months in the making, the overhaul of Virginia Tech football’s offensive coaching staff became official Friday. Fans and media began vetting coordinator Scot Loeffler, line coach Jeff Grimes and receivers coach Aaron Moorehead as soon as their names leaked within the past week, so we’ll give that peg a rest.
The quality of head coach Frank Beamer’s hires, announced via press release Friday, will be evident not in parsing of credentials but in how this trio, in concert with the boss, running backs coach Shane Beamer and tight ends coach Bryan Stinespring, changes the Hokies’ often unproductive offense.
Frank Beamer, who began contemplating the makeover late in the regular season, and the new staff members will meet with reporters next Friday, and here are some of the questions I hope we ask. Feel free to suggest your own.
- Virginia Tech completes addition of three new offensive assistant football coaches
- Teel Time: Loeffler, Grimes, Moorehead would continue Virginia Tech youth movement
- Teel Time: Ex-Michigan QB Henne calls possible Virginia Tech hire Loeffler 'spectacular' teacher
- College Football
- Virginia Tech Hokies
See more topics »
* After 11 seasons with Stinespring coordinating the offense, what prompted you to change?
* Might it be awkward for the new coordinator to work on a staff that includes his predecessor?
* How did Loeffler, Grimes and Moorehead get on your radar? How much input did holdover staff, particularly Shane given his Southeastern Conference connections, have?
* How much input, if any, did Loeffler have in hiring Grimes and Moorehead?
* In researching these three, with whom did you speak?
* Many observed during the season that the offense lacked an identity. Do you agree?
* Regardless, what is your vision of Virginia Tech offense? Within what parameters will Loeffler work?
* As Logan Thomas pondered an early exit to the NFL, how much did you tell him about your plans? And what was your advice to him regarding the draft?
* Staff stability has been a hallmark of your program during the 20-year bowl run. How difficult was it to part with Curt Newsome, Mike O’Cain and Kevin Sherman?
* The five changes since the end of the 2010 season have made your staff markedly younger? Was that intentional? If so, why?
* In light of these three changes, how might you realign recruiting territories?
* Wear your Super Bowl ring much?
* Whose ring is cooler, yours or your dad’s?