New restaurant coming to Somerset Borough; council OKs liquor license transfer
This West Main Street property in Somerset Borough will soon be the second location of Bad Boyz Bistro. (Staff photo by Alyssa Choiniere / February 25, 2013)
Bad Boyz Bistro, a restaurant that was featured on Food Network, will be opening a second location along West Main Street in Somerset Borough.
The original location is in Bedford.
"We were lucky enough to be featured on Food Network, which brought a lot of positive publicity to the town of Bedford," said founder and owner Bryan Speck at the meeting.
The show, "Outrageous Food," featured Bad Boyz Bistro in April 2011.
The new location is at 363 W. Main St. The location was formerly home to a pizza shop and a car dealership, according to Councilman Fred Rosemeyer.
"It's a little bit of a blight on the town right now," Speck said.
He said he hopes that opening the restaurant will help to revitalize the town. His plans include restoring the parking lot and adding 1,500 square feet to the existing 2,500-foot property.
He said the bistro is primarily a restaurant and does not focus on alcohol sales.
Borough solicitor Jack Dirienzo said a restaurant liquor license allows the sale of distilled spirits, wine and brews.
He said the next step is taking the resolution to the state for approval.
Speck said food sales account for 80 percent of the restaurant's business in Bedford. Alcohol sales are responsible for the remaining 20 percent.
"I just want to stress that it is a restaurant. The name sometimes can be intimidating," he said.
The name comes from the restaurant's theme of infamous men from politics and pop culture. The menu items include "the Napoleon" and "The Rebel" sandwich named for James Dean.
He said he hopes to open the restaurant in the summer.