Last week's ranking in parentheses.
3. Tigers (5): Victor Martinez is shaking off the rust to give the top-heavy lineup more depth. The biggest question for GM Dave Dombrowski is what happens at shortstop if Jhonny Peralta goes down in the Biogenesis investigation.
4. Rangers (2): Did Ron Washington really allow Joe Nathan to warm up nine times in the 18-inning loss in Toronto? The real concern, however, is the health of lefty reliever Michael Kirkman, who is being treated for a recurrence of lymphoma in his triceps.
5. Red Sox (6): A plus-80 run differential ranked behind only the Cardinals and Tigers after Sunday.
7. Athletics (9): They could lose Bartolo Colon to a Biogenesis suspension but can count on a rich pitching pipeline to replace him, if necessary.
11. Orioles (10): How much longer can they let Kevin Gausman take his big league lumps?
13. Giants (13): They don't win anymore when they don't score four-plus runs. The rotation ranked 13th in the NL with a 4.75 ERA.
14. Rockies (15): Roy Oswalt has made four solid starts in Double A and could be in the rotation soon. Why not?
17. Phillies (18): Just when things were clicking, they lost their last three in a four-game series in Milwaukee. Signs are pointing upward.
18. Angels (17): Went 1-5 in a stretch against the Astros and Cubs, then dropped two of three in Boston. Vaunted lineup still is getting outhomered by the Rangers, even with Josh Hamilton changing sides.
19. Indians (14): Tough stretch for the pitching staff.