Bears fans have seen this game before.

Remember New Orleans? Minnesota? Tampa Bay?

Interceptions returned for touchdowns, crucial fumbles, special-teams breakdowns, shoddy pass protection.

The Bears take their problems with them.

Sunday afternoon in Cleveland meant more mistakes by the lake as the Bears lost 27-14, their fifth straight setback.

Some of the names in the starting lineup were changed, but the Bears (4-8) still came up short in a game they never led.

Quarterback Peter Tom Willis, in his first NFL start, completed 19 of 26 passes for 285 yards and two touchdowns.

That was the good news.

He was intercepted twice and sacked five times.

The Bears play at Houston next Monday night and coach Mike Ditka did not say whether Willis or Jim Harbaugh would start.

"I really don't know," Ditka said. "It's kind of early. That's a hard question to answer right now. You're always trying to find a way to make things better. Evidently, it's not the (quarterback) position. It's not one person. It's a lot of people."

Some 73,578 chilled fans, generally layered in drab brown and orange garb, showed up to watch the sequel to the Bears' popular act, which is growing older to Bears fans by the week.

The Bears took their opening possession and marched from their own 36 to the Browns' 11. But on a third-and-six play, Willis' pass intended for tight end Keith Jennings was intercepted by Browns linebacker David Brandon. He rambled 92 yards untouched for a touchdown, tying a club record first set by Bernie Parrish in 1960, also against the Bears.

"We had a cluster (formation) called and (the Browns secondary) loaded it up," Ditka said. "He tried to get it in to the guy who would have made the first down and the linebacker made a good play. That's about all you can say."

The Browns (6-6) improved their lead to 10-0 on a 27-yard field goal by Matt Stover with 14:46 left in the second period. The three-pointer came at the conclusion of a 12-play, 70-yard drive that included a 16-yard run by Eric Metcalf, the longest run from scrimmage all season by the Browns.

Receiver Dennis Gentry took a crushing hit on the Bears' next possession. As he reached up for an attempted one-hand grab over the middle, Gentry was hit by safety Harlon Barnett, who stuck his helmet into Gentry's ribs.

Gentry lay on his back for several minutes as Bears trainers attended to him. But when a stretcher was brought out to the field, Gentry climbed to his feet and walked off the field with assistance.

The Browns took advantage of another Bears turnover to take a 13-0 lead with 1:18 left in the half. Neal Anderson fumbled as Browns linebacker Clay Matthews stripped the ball. Safety Terry Taylor recovered and returned the ball five yards to the Cleveland 44.

The Browns then marched 30 yards in 13 plays before Stover connected on a 43-yard field goal.