A spokesman with the Cook County medical examiner's office couldn't say Monday night whether the new victim was a man or a woman, but said the fire victim found inside the charred shell of the Horseshoe Inn, 9639 Irving Park Road, was pronounced dead at 6:15 p.m.
The new body was a strange new development in a case that shocked many in the quiet suburb. The tavern's owner George Markopoulos, 67, was found shortly after a fire broke out in the early morning of Jan. 27. An autopsy determined that he died from suffered blunt head trauma in an apparent homicide.
The fire was also ruled arson, said Schiller Park police Officer Jeff Snarski.
Markopoulos was found on a cot in a first-floor back office where he would occasionally sleep, said Snarski. There were no signs of fire in the office and the autopsy did not find any indication that Markopoulos had inhaled any smoke or that he had been burned, he said.
Officials with Schiller Park police couldn’t be reached for comment Monday night.